Smoked Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weazelwacker

Reaction score
Has anyone ever smoked honey to use in mead. I just got my alfalfa honey in today, and plan on cold smoking some tomorrow with pecan wood ( its all I have right now). I also had a gentleman on http://www.smoked-meat.com recommend that I smoke lavender with cherry wood. Any thoughts?

posted this in the wrong place and don't know how to remove it....SUE ME.:confused:

I've done this myself. I had a hard time making the flavors really stick to the honey. It imparted a slight smokeyness to it but never enough that I would notice it a lot after fermentation.

Not exactly the same thing, but I made a braggot in late 2014 using home smoked grains. Left to condition for over a year. Tapped into it early 2106, delicious (aging works miracles for meads), and still smokey. If you dont want to make a full on braggot, maybe just try a small portion of smoked grains to get the smokey flavor. I roasted 2-row to amber and then smoked. If you dont want any color change just cold smoke a pale malt. Caution: a little goes a long way.

Wonder if smoking oak chips for use in aging the mead would impart much smokey?

You could also try a brochet.

Back