So did I kill my little yeasty freinds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Want2Brew

Master of None
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been brew for a few years now but maybe this should be in the beginners section. Any way, I had some hops and 2 pacs of US-05 in a paper bag and absentmindedly tossed them in the freezer for about 20 hrs before it hit me that I had put dry yeast in the freezer and maybe, just maybe I should not have done that. Took the yeast out and let them warm up. So do you good folks think I killed my little sugar eaters? Thanks for any thoughts.

Not to worry. They should be fine. Store them in the fridge until about an hour before you're going to use them.

If you had gotten them really hot, that would be another story.

I would think they're ok, but you could do a small starter just to "proof" them before you pitch. Dry yeast are pretty hearty.

They're fine, no starter needed or anything else. One time a friend ordered brewing ingredients and he wanted me to help him make it. When he gave me the Wyeast smack packs they were ice bergs - they'd been sitting in his freezer for a month. He thought that's what you were supposed to do. Anyway, they thawed, I smacked them, and they made beer. And liquid yeast is much more delicate than dry.

Back