So I tried the Whole Keep your Beer in the Primary Longer this Time Around...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin Dean said:
Those judges measure conformance to a specifc style of beer. It's vital for people interested in competing but for someone who is interested in making good, drinkable beer styles exist only as flavour guidelines, not as absolute traits that make a beer "good".

I'm not by any means saying Jamil or ANYONE makes bad beer, or that people's methods are wrong. Simply that different procedures yield different beers and it's up to the drinker to decide if that difference results in a better or worse beer. I, for instance, like esters a LOT, even in beers that have esters listed as "undesirable". My wife hates esters even in a style-perfect hefe.

Not quite sure where you are going with all that. The guy has demonstrated a pretty clear grasp on how to brew beer in general, not just to specific style guidelines. Either way, I agree..when it comes to your decision to secondary or not, what anyone else does can be a point of reference but it's never a commandment that beer has to be brewed that way.

Course, having an impressive list of credentials, awards and experience behind your name should count for something.

I will leave a beer in primary for 2-3 weeks then it's off to a keg or bottle. I'll let my kegs and bottles sit for a good 2-4 weeks or sometimes longer. I never secondary. I tend to view my primaries as if I am a microbrew. Time is money. I do think that leaving the beer on the yeast cleans some things up, but I think the benefit is on a curve. The longer it's in there, the less it will actually do. I'm not entering tons of comps and trying to win medals, I'm just trying to make good beer to drink.

I think one difference between what homebrewers do and the commercials is that most of them either filter or centrifuge at some point in the process. This is how they can effectively skip a long secondary. So if clarity is a big must for you, secondary away. For me, 10-14 days for ales and into a keg works just fine and my beer is clear enough for me. As I said earlier, it'll be in that keg for close to a month before I get around to tapping it anyway.

YMMV

Kevin Dean said:
Those judges measure conformance to a specifc style of beer. It's vital for people interested in competing but for someone who is interested in making good, drinkable beer styles exist only as flavour guidelines, not as absolute traits that make a beer "good".

I agree that not everyone is brewing for competition. The fact however is that there's no way you're going to even get to the second round of the nationals if your beer has an off taste such as those contributed by autolysis.

Also, for those of you that transfer to secondary and crash cool, I recently did the same exact thing on a slightly extended primary and it cleared up just as quickly - 2 days at 38F. We've postulated on what exactly about racking causes particulates to fall out and I'm satisfied with the guess that minor disturbances in the wort is the cause. I suppose you can get the same effect by agitating the primary just before you crash cool it. It couldn't introduce anymore oxygen than racking in anycase.

If I can get my hands on some 1-gallon jugs, I'm going to do some experimenting and then have my homebrew club do a blind A/B comparison.

[Also, my trub straining talents suck. Most of what's in the brew pot ends up in my primary bucket. No off flavor problems so far with short primaries, but who knows what I'll find after five weeks on the muck:fro:[/QUOTE]

this is why i only put clean wort into the primary. straining is "straining" ... let the trub settle out and rack it off ... it only takes an hour to settle. its your BEER!!!

its not complicated or too much trouble ... why go thru the process and pitch on wort with 2 inches of brew crap on the bottom?

Depending on the type of beer you are brewing is the time spent in primary/secondary different?

I mean I don't know much about the differences in beer - the difference between a dark lager and a stout - to me it's all 'dark beer' (im sorry if I offended anyone, i'm learning..i didn't know i was a connoisseur until i registered. :p)

I was planning on starting with a Hefe, but I don't want to **** it up. So I'll be going with a nice Wheat, maybe a Cherry since the wife asked for it. Not sure really I like all sorts of beer.. Looking for the one that will be the best for a noob to pull off proper.. Anyway.. So how long do I let em sit? Does clarity matter?

El_Borracho said:
Depending on the type of beer you are brewing is the time spent in primary/secondary different?

I mean I don't know much about the differences in beer - the difference between a dark lager and a stout - to me it's all 'dark beer' (im sorry if I offended anyone, i'm learning..i didn't know i was a connoisseur until i registered. :p)

I was planning on starting with a Hefe, but I don't want to **** it up. So I'll be going with a nice Wheat, maybe a Cherry since the wife asked for it. Not sure really I like all sorts of beer.. Looking for the one that will be the best for a noob to pull off proper.. Anyway.. So how long do I let em sit? Does clarity matter?
A simple wheat is a good choice to get started.

The more you brew, the more you’ll learn that there is no one good answer. Bobby and I have differing views on secondaries, but I’m sure his brew is great and would be willing to swap beer with him anytime.

Most people will agree that a wheat beer (fruit flavored or not) will not need to go to a secondary. Secondaries purpose is as a clearing, or bright tank, for helping to clear the beer up. You want a hazy wheat so that can be skipped.

I’d say that any wheat recipe can go a full three weeks in the primary and then into bottles. Use you hydrometer to make sure your fermentation is complete. If you’re in a bigger hurry…wait for the hydrometer readings to stop moving…add 48 hours and then rack to bottles.

I'm actually not comitted to using or not using secondaries. My posts on the topics have been kind of a way of working it out in my mind. I have used secondary more times than not and I'm not quite ready to stop for every batch. I'm probably going to resort to an experiment before I make a long term stance.

Ok ... one final comment on this topic and I'll shut up.

If you believe that the sole purpose of yeast it to bring your wort from OG to FG, by all means rack it to secondary as soon as that occurs. I guess you could also use any kind of yeast you want since they will all do this for you.

I think that yeast has MANY more functions than just eating sugar and making alcohol. It can only accomplish these other things by leaving the beer on it for a while.

This is what I meant by saying 1-2-3 is old tech ... its what beginners are taught because its easy to follow, will yield drinkable beer and will keep them in the hobby.

For me, I'm committed to brewing and always am looking beyond what Charlie Papazian wrote years and years ago. Things evolve.

Since i started kegging i was able to build up a nice supply of brew with half the work at bottling time. This has done a few positive things for me:

1. The wife has no bottle evidence to show how many brews consumed(less nagging)

2. I have more beer around so i can let the beer sit in the primary longer as i am in no hurry to drink it

3. Beer sits longer, ages longer, tastes better.

I suppose to answer the original question, mine sits in the primary now around 3 to 4 weeks.

2 months during Katrina. Evacuated for the storm mid way through primary fermentation and had no choice but to let it do it's thing while the hurricane did its thing. Came out interesting to say the least

Back