Sour graff watery, need suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadozen

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm not sure if this would be more of a cider question or a question for this sub forum but I picked up a gallon of cider from target for an experiment. I have a few non essential questions that if I can get answers to, id be happy, but it's irrelevant at this point.
First the OG of the cider was 1.052 and I added half a gallon of 1.06 wort. I didn't take a hydro reading after I mixed them, what's the formula to get my OG?
Now for the important question.
I pitched some wyeast 1318 and cuvee rene dregs. I took a hydro sample last night and the gravity is down to 1.008. When I tasted it the flavor is great, like cuvee rene but it doesn't have that bitter grapefruit flavor on the back end. It is kinda watery in the mouthfeel though. Would adding fruit in secondary help or just add more flavor? I was thinking peaches, but if it won't help watery mouthfeel I'd rather just eat the peaches and enjoy my delicious, yet watery first attempt at a sour.

To get your OG, it's basically just an algebra problem. x = (1(52) + .5(60)) / 1.5. I get x = 54.6, so the blend started at 1.0546. Basically, you just multiply the volumes by the gravity to get a total sugar count and then divide by the new total volume...if that makes any sense.

Cider is pretty much entirely fermentable. Most ciders on their own finish around 1.000. I'm not sure what mash temp you used for the wort portion, but I'm not at all surprised the blend finished around 1.008. Generally, a dry beer will taste very watery out of a fermenter. Carbonation, generally high in a cider, will add a lot of body.

If you want some fruit flavor added, then put it on some fruit. But if you like how it is now, just bottle it as long as gravity is stable and you like the taste.

How long has this been aging?

Thanks for the math, I see I was on the right track while I was trying to figure it out on my own. The mash temp for the wort was 152 for an hour.
It's only been aging for a month which I know isn't any time at all for a sour, but wanted to get a battle plan ready. I was going to rack it to a 1 gallon and a .5 gallon growler for aging and add fruit to part of it. Would adding the fruit at the beginning of secondary be best or should I hold off till closer to packaging? I would assume at time of racking four multiple reasons (increased sugar to avoid bottle bombs, more time for flavors to meld, etc.) But I've never added fruit to anything.
The last thing would be about packaging, I would have to bottle condition, and I know some people run into problems with bottle condition ciders. If it sirs for a yeast aging would this be a problem? Would I be okay with just pitching some dry champagne yeast and using stronger glass?
Thanks for dealing with my noobish questions.

Rule of thumb is to have the beer (or graff in this case) at the level of sourness desired before putting it on the fruit. Then age it on the fruit for at least 2 months. Bottle when Gravity is stable and taste is where you want it.

I'd package this in Belgian bottles. They can stand a higher carb. Some shops sell capable, as opposed to cork/cage bottles. They take a wider cap which requires an adapter on your capper, but they can stand higher pressures. Feel free to add champagne yeast if you age it for a while.

Thanks, LHBS had the cappable belgian bottles. I'll check the sourness in another month or so then add fruit to the .5 gallon and blah blah blah.
I'll report back in about a
year and praise you again for all the help

Latest posts

Back