Sourwood honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
I received 4 lbs of Sourwood honey from Mountain Honey in Georgia for Christmas as a gift. Mountain Honey's Sourwood honey has won several international awards, including a Best in the World" award in Dublin, Ireland, at the 39th Apimondia International Apicultural Congress.

Upon receiving the honey I immediately tried to order more but it was gone for the year, as is the case each year. So, with four pounds, I started a 1-gallon batch of traditional mead yesterday. After hydrating and adding the D-47 frmentation began within a couple of hours. I tasted the honey as I added it to the primary pail and it's delicious! I've been babying this batch and have high hopes for it in another year or so.

I only have one bottle left of my batch of Sourwood mead from 2 years ago. I brought back 3 pounds from the Smokey Mountains and used that. It is a very nice varietal mead. Mine has a very crisp feel to it and a smooth character with a sweet honey flavor coming through at the finish.

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if the OP could post his recipe for this mead. I have some local sourwood honey and have been wanting to make a mead with it for a couple months. I planned on using d47 for it so this post really caught my eye.

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if the OP could post his recipe for this mead. I have some local sourwood honey and have been wanting to make a mead with it for a couple months. I planned on using d47 for it so this post really caught my eye.

Just a show mead so honey, water, and yeast. Water to one gallon with nutrient additions I assume.

Latest posts

Back