Specific Gravity of Propylene Glycol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I have a partial gallon jug of glycol and cannot remember if I have already diluted it with water to make a 50/50 ratio. I assume I can use a floating hydrometer and read the SG to see if the glycol is already diluted?

If I can test with this method, what SG should I read if the glycol was cut 50/50 with water? Or what is the SG range if the glycol is straight up? Is this reading temp dependent?

Thanks for the help....I'll do better labeling the jug next time!

Last edited:
About 1.041 for 50/50 with water (by volume). But only about 1.036 when 99+% pure. Determining where it stands may prove to be a bit problematic.

Last edited:
Is it syrupy? Put a few mL in a glass and add a like amount of water. Does it get hot? Does the SG stay about the same? If the answer to all these questions is "Yes" then it is near 100%. If it's not syrupy and/or if it doesn't get hot when water is added or if the SG drops to about 1.020 when water is added then it's about 50/50.

Back