Spike Conical- observations and best practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, not as efficiently as if the entire coil was submerged, but...it cools well enough. I've done both 5 and 10 gallon batches in mine, the cooling effectiveness is about the same.

I use a TILT hydrometer in mine--it reports both gravity and temp. I've found, with 5-gallon batches, that the temp the TILT reports is the same as the temp probe in the thermowell.

Further, during active fermentation, which is when we most want temp control, that yeast is roiling up the wort quite a bit. In other words, the wort isn't static, it's being mixed.

As far as moving the thermowell--it's not a problem for me with 5-gallon batches, so I'm not touching it--you could install it in the sample valve location.

But again--I have an independent assessor of temp (the TILT) and it's not been an issue for me.

We're going to have to disagree about this. When you start, yes, the headspace is full of air, 21 percent of which is oxygen. Of course, some of that is absorbed into the wort, which is what you want so the yeast has something to work with. Further, if we're using liquid yeast, we oxygenate--oxygenate--the wort. If this was a problem, it'd be a problem with starters, with those who just use pails or plastic fermenters, with virtually all brewing. Not a lot of evidence of that. None, in fact, that I can think of.

Further, as fermentation starts, the yeast produces copious amounts of CO2, which blows out any remaining air. Yeah, it takes a day, but early in the fermentation, yeast isn't having a problem with this, and neither is your beer.

By the end of fermentation, you can expect the entire headspace to be nothing but CO2. For each 2 points of gravity the yeast consumes, it produces about 1 volume of CO2. So if your beer starts, say, at 1.055 and ends at 1.015, that's 40 points. Divided by 2 is 20. Suppose you have 5.5 gallons. Multiply it out and your yeast is producing 110 gallons of CO2, which is flushing the headspace.

If, still, this is a concern, you can purge the headspace with CO2, but why I don't know. You *want* the yeast to be happy.

I've brewed a TON of excellent beer with my CF10, most of which have been 5-gallon batches. These battles to which you refer? I have never had to fight them.
I'm glad the CF10 is working out for you for 5g batches. I'm not saying you wouldn't be able to do so by any means. I guess the reason for my post was to provide some things to be aware of if that's the route you take.

I agree the thermowel may be a non-issue especially since you are using a tilt. As well as the calculations you did for O2 head space (I didn't check it but assuming it's right), however, I will put this here for anyone interested http://brulosophy.com/2017/03/13/th...pace-during-fermentation-exbeeriment-results/.

One point I don't agree with is having the same cooling efficiency from the coil of the CF10 when making 5g batches as the CF5. While I don't have experience with a CF10 and I am assuming you don't have experience with the CF5, I don't think either of us could provide more than anecdotal evidence. The only thing I'll comment is that it doesn't make sense that a partially submerged cooling coil could compare to a fully submerged one. I would guestimate that only 1/4 to 1/3 of the coil would make contact with wort. It's just not the same.

Does that make or break it? No.. it doesn't. You have made it work as well as many others. But when people are asking "which should I get when I only make 5 gal batches and maybe a 10g once a year?" I think they should know the drawbacks of trying to scale upwards in their specific situation.

Cheers!

...One point I don't agree with is having the same cooling efficiency from the coil of the CF10 when making 5g batches as the CF5. While I don't have experience with a CF10 and I am assuming you don't have experience with the CF5, I don't think either of us could provide more than anecdotal evidence. The only thing I'll comment is that it doesn't make sense that a partially submerged cooling coil could compare to a fully submerged one. I would guestimate that only 1/4 to 1/3 of the coil would make contact with wort. It's just not the same.....

Your assumptions are way off as can be seen from the link below. You will see over roughly 75% of the CF10's cooling coil easily covers CF5 batches....

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshdesk.com/data/helpdesk/attachments/production/35019548652/original/Conical Cutaway Drawings 7-10-18.PDF?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAJ2JSYZ7O3I4JO6DA/20190913/us-east-1/s3/aws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20190913T215847Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=27a25bd559d6664d9b98ad297fcfd190459435162c9a78380e98caef1228ac1d&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=Host&response-content-type=application/pdf

EDIT: Working link

Last edited:
I'm glad the CF10 is working out for you for 5g batches. I'm not saying you wouldn't be able to do so by any means. I guess the reason for my post was to provide some things to be aware of if that's the route you take.

I have no problem with that, but it's probably not that helpful to speculate in the absence of real information. That helps nobody.

I agree the thermowel may be a non-issue especially since you are using a tilt.

It's not a non-issue because I'm using a TILT. I was pointing out that I was getting the same temp with the TILT as with the thermowell. That should have alleviated some concern over whether the thermowell was too high.

As well as the calculations you did for O2 head space (I didn't check it but assuming it's right), however, I will put this here for anyone interested http://brulosophy.com/2017/03/13/th...pace-during-fermentation-exbeeriment-results/.

I didn't do any calculations for O2 headspace; I used the 21% figure for O2 because, well, it's what's in AIR.

And as far as the Brulosophy stuff....my critiques of their methodology are well-known.

One point I don't agree with is having the same cooling efficiency from the coil of the CF10 when making 5g batches as the CF5.

<sigh> I didn't say they had the same cooling efficiency. I said, "the cooling effectiveness is about the same." But I'll add that they're close enough that it's not going to make a difference in the outcomes.

While I don't have experience with a CF10 and I am assuming you don't have experience with the CF5, I don't think either of us could provide more than anecdotal evidence.

I don't need any experience with a CF5 to compare the cooling efficiency IN A CF10 of both 5- and 10-gallon batches. I'm giving you real experience with that.

The only thing I'll comment is that it doesn't make sense that a partially submerged cooling coil could compare to a fully submerged one. I would guestimate that only 1/4 to 1/3 of the coil would make contact with wort. It's just not the same.

I am not saying they're the same, and I don't know why this is an issue for you. I said, to repeat, "the cooling effectiveness is about the same." It is not a difference that should cause people to choose one or the other.

Does that make or break it? No.. it doesn't. You have made it work as well as many others. But when people are asking "which should I get when I only make 5 gal batches and maybe a 10g once a year?" I think they should know the drawbacks of trying to scale upwards in their specific situation.
Cheers!

I guess we'll have to disagree on this. You see them as drawbacks; not sure why, as I think I refuted the concerns you mentioned, but if you want to see them as drawbacks, see them as drawbacks. They aren't signficant in the grand scheme of things.

There are other, what I consider legitimate, reasons to choose a CF5 over a CF10. Among them are that you can find a refrigerator/standup freezer in which to do cooling temp control, AND you can actually crash it to 32 or even lower. That's a positive for the CF5. It's also cheaper, and that's a potential positive. It's smaller, so less space needed.

I've gotten to the point where I want a second fermenter. It'll be a CF5 if I can swing it, for reasons I just listed. I have the CF10, don't need another, but if I could get a CF5 to fit in my fridge, well, it'd save me the temp control kit, cost less, take up less space than a second CF10 wuld, I could crash lower, there are some advantages.

But cooling efficiency of the coil? No.

Your assumptions are way off as can be seen from the link below. You will see over roughly 75% of the CF10's cooling coil easily covers CF5 batches....

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshd...rs=Host&response-content-type=application/pdf
Link doesn't work, but I pulled dimensions from Spike. Looks like half the coil is submerged.
Screenshot_20190913-163901.jpeg

Link doesn't work, but I pulled dimensions from Spike. Looks like half the coil is submerged.
View attachment 644089

I guess if you want to massage the measurements to try to fit your assumptions, that's ok but isn't correct when talking about producing five gallons of beer. Based upon your bolded statement above, 50% is at the 4.75 gallon mark in the CF10 conical. So, now instead of starting with a starting batch of roughly 6.25 gallons plus to produce five gallons of beer, you are starting at 4.75 gallons? Your math does not fit...

I guess if you want to massage the measurements to try to fit your assumptions, that's ok but isn't correct when talking about producing five gallons of beer. Based upon your bolded statement above, 50% is at the 4.75 gallon mark in the CF10 conical. So, now instead of starting with a starting batch of roughly 6.25 gallons plus to produce five gallons of beer, you are starting at 4.75 gallons? Your math does not fit...

I'm not massaging anything lol. I was trying to show that I stood corrected in my assumption that is was only 1/4 - 1/3 of the coil. You said over 75%. I was then curious how that was possible and pulled it up to provide as reference. RDWHAHB

The CF5 actually holds 6 gallons if that helps any. From my experience the thermowell seems more accurate than my tilt. Every time I pull a sample and measure my beer is actually about a deg higher than the thermowell. The tilt takes forever to adjust to temp change when crashing when compared to thermowell.

New member here and I think this is my first actual post. I hope not to hijack this thread but I do have some questions. Maybe this should be in the equipment thread. And if so, someone please move it for me.

My wife told me to get a hobby and boy oh boy am I getting "deeper" into my hobby. Over the course of the past few weeks I have read this entire thread. I am currently looking into going electric (there will be questions in that thread, too) and adding a Spike conical(s). The reason for the (s) on conical is that I am strongly considering buying 2 right off the bat. However, I'd like opinions on a few things. (1.) So far I have only brewed 5 gallon batches and I do not see myself going to 10 gallons anytime soon. My question is should I buy the CF5 or CF10? (2.) Should I buy 2 right "out of the shoot?" (3.) Currently I ferment in a separate chest freezer from from Keezer and with a CF I will be moving away from fermenting in the chest freezer to fermenting in the CF. I plan on getting the TC bundles w/heating but should I also look into a glycol system? If yes, Penguin brand seems to be a popular/ recommended/reliable system. What other systems should I consider? I will be posting on the equipment thread something like "if money was not in the top 5 of your brewing/BIAB concerns, build me your dream 5 gallon electric BIAB system."

Wow... step away from a thread for a few days and it's get a little heated... (is that a cooling coil pun? i sure hope so!)
So to @orono :
#1- Love your picture. Where's Shaq?!?!?
#2- Your wife ROCKS! I too have a very supportive spouse- i was fretting over a glycol chiller and she pushed me to a yes! Wow! (Maybe she hated dripping water bottles in her freezer?)
#3- Here is my OPINION only. Others will vary, but I thought I would help you out with my $.03 (I always try to give 50% more)

Spike vs. SS Brewtech vs. any other unitank- I don't think you will go very wrong with any choice AS LONG AS it includes the features you want. I went with Spike (you can posts above for more on this). Things you should look for: Temp Control Options, Tri-Clamp, temp probe, etc. I say Spike & SS Brewtech are very close in features and price point. Bonus to Spike if you can ferment in a fridge- no need to buy coils you do not need. Sounds like you like Spike- try the cf model- maybe you will like them and use them for your electric setup (About $6k but pretty looking!). Maybe you will decide to BIAB and get a Grainfather or Colordo (?) or similar system. This is where this HBT website rocks- so many real opinions and feedback.

So, if I am reading your post correctly, you like 5 gallon batches. Me too! I often brew two 5 gallon batches on a brew day. Mostly because TIME is my most precious resource. After I have all me gear out, grains milled, etc. it is so much quicker to do a 2nd batch before I clean and put away. I like to have variety in my beer. Latey it's been both an IPA/IIPA/Pale AND a Hefe of some kind. I like to try new things on each and take notes. The art of crafting the brew and the "science" of tweaking little things is fun. Bonus is the beer at a much "cheaper" price (based solely on ingredient cost vs. buying 6 packs). I just grew hops for the first time and did a wet hop ale- it turned out good. Fun.
So- right now I have a cf5 and a Blichman Cornical (don't get one). I can temp control in the cf5 and can't in the cornical. I want a 2nd cr5 so bad! I would rarely ever make 10 gallons- too much of one kind of beer, and with my skill level right now, I would hate to dump 10 gallons of a miss. (Thankfully haven't had to dump the any of the last 5 batches. I owe it ALL to temp control! lol).
SO- if I was you, I would get two cf5 units. However, that would probably mean two fridges/freezers, so you will need especially if space is an issue) the chiller coils and a glycol; chiller. I went with Penguin. (Again- so many threads here- do your research). The service with Penguin is unreal. And it is a smaller USA company (probably assembled with some foreign parts). However- I needed to add a cart for my Penguin as it does not have wheels (1/3hp model- plenty big for up to 4 cf5). So depending on your space concerns, Penguin is compact and will work just fine. Otherwise I would say SS Brewtech chiller-$200 or so more, but has wheels and larger reservoir.

If you have two cf5, you can do one lager (at say 40-50 for 3-6 weeks or more) and one ale (at say 68 or so for a week or two). If you had only one cf10, then your limitation would be only one TYPE of beer at a time. I will let the boys above fight over with the cf10 works well on a 5 gallon bacth or not. For me- I care more about the option to make two different beers than one big batch of beer.

Welcome to the hobby! There is NO limit to how much you can spend! lol. Like any good hobby!

#1- Love your picture. Where's Shaq?!?!?
Now that's funny....he's busy pushing icy hot for aches and pains.
#2- Your wife ROCKS! I too have a very supportive spouse
Yes she does and yes mine is very supportive, too
#3- Here is my OPINION only. Others will vary, but I thought I would help you out with my $.03 (I always try to give 50% more)
I can relate to the idea of more. I've never been good at moderation either

....I don't think you will go very wrong with any choice AS LONG AS it includes the features you want.
That's part of the problem, I don't know everything that I want. That's why I am here to get opinions. Simply put, I don't even know what I don't know

SO- if I was you, I would get two cf5 units. However, that would probably mean two fridges/freezers, so you will need especially if space is an issue) the chiller coils and a glycol; chiller. I went with Penguin.
I am leaning this way. Plus I have a call in to Spike to speak with someone in their sales dept. I know this may open me up to criticism but speaking to a company representative probably won't hurt IMO. I thought Mongoose had several valuable comments about capabilities of the CF5 and CF10 that are appropriate for me

Welcome to the hobby! There is NO limit to how much you can spend! lol. Like any good hobby!
Thank you. I'm glad I joined rather than just lurk

Now that's funny....he's busy pushing icy hot for aches and pains.

Yes she does and yes mine is very supportive, too

I can relate to the idea of more. I've never been good at moderation either

That's part of the problem, I don't know everything that I want. That's why I am here to get opinions. Simply put, I don't even know what I don't know

I am leaning this way. Plus I have a call in to Spike to speak with someone in their sales dept. I know this may open me up to criticism but speaking to a company representative probably won't hurt IMO. I thought Mongoose had several valuable comments about capabilities of the CF5 and CF10 that are appropriate for me

Thank you. I'm glad I joined rather than just lurk

Good points. Bear in mind you WILL need a way to control temps. Factor this cost and space in your deciscion.

That being said, if you get a Spike, you may be able to share some of the parts- i.e. one carb stone maybe.

Good points. Bear in mind you WILL need a way to control temps. Factor this cost and space in your deciscion.
Thanks for this. You're correct that I will need to control temps. I'm currently researching ways to do that. Maybe through the cooling coils in a Spike or stand-up refrigerator(s). I like your Penguin idea. More info on that would be helpful. Space isn't an issue at all. Thankfully I have more than enough temp controlled space I would need.

That being said, if you get a Spike, you may be able to share some of the parts- i.e. one carb stone maybe.
I need to do some soul searching about what I'm going to do about what equipment and parts. As I mentioned earlier, I've been reading and researching with the help of this forum. My current cart at Spike is over $3300. I know I've doubled up on some things. I would need to cull out extra, not needed, duplicate items, etc. I'm hoping to continue to get that important info from people like you on this forum[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. You're correct that I will need to control temps. I'm currently researching ways to do that. Maybe through the cooling coils in a Spike or stand-up refrigerator(s). I like your Penguin idea. More info on that would be helpful. Space isn't an issue at all. Thankfully I have more than enough temp controlled space I would need.

I need to do some soul searching about what I'm going to do about what equipment and parts. As I mentioned earlier, I've been reading and researching with the help of this forum. My current cart at Spike is over $3300. I know I've doubled up on some things. I would need to cull out extra, not needed, duplicate items, etc. I'm hoping to continue to get that important info from people like you on this forum
[/QUOTE]
Scroll back through this thread... say 5 pages before? Take an hour and read through- i think all the info you need is already here. Again it comes down to your preferences- will you brew one 5 gallon batch at a time? Or two? Maybe you go with one cf10 and one cf5.
Man... i am drooling spending all of your money!! Lol.
I say go with one cf5 first. Get all the accessories. Then add on as you go.

Here is ONE constant i bet i can get 95% of people here to agree on (which is not poasible): no matter what, each brewer on here probably wishes he or she bought something different as they progressed. I know i do!!
Read read read! Look up the Penguin vs. Ss chiller thread. Great info there too.

The CF5 actually holds 6 gallons if that helps any. From my experience the thermowell seems more accurate than my tilt.

If you must have the Thermowell on 5 gal batches in a CF10 then just use the sample port for you thermowell instead.....I rarely use my sample port anyways when the racking port will do just fine for that purpose....

problem solved

Thanks for this. You're correct that I will need to control temps. I'm currently researching ways to do that. Maybe through the cooling coils in a Spike or stand-up refrigerator(s).

In my opinion a stand up freezer with a temp control is by far the easiest.....found this guy used on craigslist for $100....heres my set up with my CF10....what I do is actually stick the temp control probe IN the thermowell (with the analog thermometer removed) and set the temp of the fridge controller to whatever I want and it won't stop cooling until my wort is at my exact desired temp automatically....also I store it in the fridge when not in use at 33 degrees in my garage and it keeps it clean and free of dust and garage dirt and also still have room in the shelving up top and on the door for use for random fridge items like beer n sodas:

4b7794bf-f47e-428a-a9f6-63a2f1610b85-jpeg.637326

Last edited:
2 CF5's = twice the cleaning......and I HAAATE cleaning.....

honestly I don't even see how this is a debate.
Two each his or her own...
But i prefer two seperate different flavora of beer at once. Hence two different cf5.
Maybe the OP wants to do a side by side smash with different hop or something.

Cleaning DOES suck. Here yes we all agree!!

:ban::cask:

In my opinion a stand up freezer with a temp control is by far the easiest.....found this guy used on craigslist for $100....heres my set up with my CF10....what I do is actually stick the temp control probe IN the thermowell (with the analog thermometer removed) and set the temp of the fridge controller to whatever I want and it won't stop cooling until my wort is at my exact desired temp automatically....also I store it in the fridge when not in use at 33 degrees in my garage and it keeps it clean and free of dust and garage dirt and also still have room in the shelving up top and on the door for use for random fridge items like beer n sodas:

4b7794bf-f47e-428a-a9f6-63a2f1610b85-jpeg.637326
what make and model number is that freezer. Looks like it would work fine for a CF15 as well since it has same footprint as the CF10 but is 5" taller. Can you confirm those are the short leg extensions you are using? Guess I'd lose the upper shelf if I did CF15 with same leg extensions but that looks a really good way to manage temperature control and surely cheaper than a glycol system and TC-100. Also imagine if a freezer you can really cold crash.

It is the short legs yessir. And with the short legs my corny kegs are still under the racking port so it makes racking easy.

It’s actually a freezer/fridge convertible. Has a dial inside to use it as either/or. It does indeed fit a CF15. I’ll grab the mode number when I get home.

It is the short legs yessir. And with the short legs my corny kegs are still under the racking port so it makes racking easy.

It’s actually a freezer/fridge convertible. Has a dial inside to use it as either/or. It does indeed fit a CF15. I’ll grab the mode number when I get home.

One more question...you appear to have the racking arm on your racking port. Do you have room in there to attach the carb stone? It looks like it would extend about 5" beyond the end of your racking port if you don't use one.

One more question...you appear to have the racking arm on your racking port. Do you have room in there to attach the carb stone? It looks like it would extend about 5" beyond the end of your racking port if you don't use one.
Yes because if you look, the CF is turned kinda sideways (more of a 60 degree angle really) in order to have the triangular base plate be flush against the back wall....tons of room

Perfect thanks.
Looks like I am market for a ~20.2 CF freezer now.

Why do you have casters on there? Do you every pivot the tank in the freezer when it is full maybe to get at different ports?

Anyone happen to know if the fermenter volume markers account for the volume in the site glass or 90deg elbow? I’m trying to fine tune my brewing process and volumes.

IMG_7266.JPG

Anyone happen to know if the fermenter volume markers account for the volume in the site glass or 90deg elbow? I’m trying to fine tune my brewing process and volumes.

View attachment 645440

You probably need to calibrate your system. Configure your system the way it would be set up on brew day...sight glass, elbow, carb stone etc. Get a one gallon glass jug. Fill the jug with 1 gallon of tap water by weight. 3.785kg. Mark the jug at the line with a sharpie and add to the conical. Keep a note pad so you don't lose track of how many jugs you fill it with. Add 4 more gallons. Take off the lid (if it was ever on) and look at where the fill comes in comparison to the etchings. That difference becomes your standard adjustment. If your fermentor is only full to 4.5 gallons you know your etchings are reading half a gallon high.

Edited to add those marks on their schematic may or may not be true. I think they are approximations to show about how much wort would be needed to reach the racking valve, cooling coil etc.

It DEFINITELY does not account for the site glass.....and I'm starting to think it doesn't account for the elbow because my levels do seem a little low on occasion

First post here. Great discussion thread - I've learnt a lot from it. I've been using the CF5 for about a year and love it. My question relates to yeast depositing on non-vertical surfaces like the inside of TC ports and connected devices. This often clogs my sampling valve, which never pours smoothly. (For his reason, I always point my racking pickup tube down and never rotate it - before racking I dump under pressure until the top of the vertical sight glass is clear). To avoid this problem when sampling, I'm thinking of:
A. Welding a small elbow to the inside of my sampling valve which points down,
or
B. Swapping its position with the temp probe port, which is on a vertical plane.
Any thoughts?

The sampling port does get trub and stuff that settle in the opening. I usually pour a little bit and dump it . Then I pour more into my hydrometer tube. Do 1 or 2 flushes and it's all good.

I never attempt to use the hydrometer tube to take my sample. Typically by the time I'm ready to take a sample the fermentor has already been sealed up therefore it has 5+ psi on it. I usually open the sample port alot very quickly with a large container underneath and it will blast the dryhops out and from that point on it can be opened normally without the clogging. I Just need to be ready to close the valve quick because once it clears it comes out very quick. Cheers

I never attempt to use the hydrometer tube to take my sample. Typically by the time I'm ready to take a sample the fermentor has already been sealed up therefore it has 5+ psi on it. I usually open the sample port alot very quickly with a large container underneath and it will blast the dryhops out and from that point on it can be opened normally without the clogging. I Just need to be ready to close the valve quick because once it clears it comes out very quick. Cheers

+1

I received my CF5 this week. So far all I've done is put it together and pressure test it because I had to make some modifications to my fermentation chamber to accommodate the height of the gas manifold.

I put in 10 PSI to test it and was losing about 1 PSI per day. I tightened down the lid clamp even further and I believe it's stopped dropping pressure now but I'm worried I might be over tightening. How tight do you all make the lid clamp? Is it possible to over tighten it with just hand tightening? I've got it as cranked as i possibly can using only my hand.

I received my CF5 this week. So far all I've done is put it together and pressure test it because I had to make some modifications to my fermentation chamber to accommodate the height of the gas manifold.

I put in 10 PSI to test it and was losing about 1 PSI per day. I tightened down the lid clamp even further and I believe it's stopped dropping pressure now but I'm worried I might be over tightening. How tight do you all make the lid clamp? Is it possible to over tighten it with just hand tightening? I've got it as cranked as i possibly can using only my hand.
Yeah- sounds about right. Crank down hard by hand.
Did you have liquid in it when you tested? If there is water in it the gas gets absorbed in the water.

Did you have liquid in it when you tested? If there is water in it the gas gets absorbed in the water.

Nah just gas to avoid any carbonation. I just don't want to deform the lid or something tightening too hard.

Also, I use a touch of "keg lube" on the gasket. Not sure that it does anything but maybe extend the life a little bit, but so far no leaks.
Note- I am also lazy, so I splurge for a can of spray lube- I have never used keg lube before, but I read it's a little messy.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/silicone-spray-lubricant-12-oz.html

It DEFINITELY does not account for the site glass.....and I'm starting to think it doesn't account for the elbow because my levels do seem a little low on occasion

It almost certainly doesn't account for either the site glass or the elbow. I don't use the elbow on my system at all (want to buy it? :) ). The sight glass is an option. Since the elbow can be installed either before or after the butterfly valve, there's no way to account for it.

Back