Spilled some of my WL yeast on the floor!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milholen

Reaction score
I shook up the White Labs California Ale yeast vial just before pitching and when I opened it it shot out of the top like it was carbonated. I spilled a little on the floor -- possibly 30% or more of the vial ended up on the floor. :mad: I just popped the top onto the primary as normal figuring it will be fine. Will it be OK or should I go get some more yeast and toss it in?

OG is 1.066

here are the fermentable sugars I used:
3lbs honey
3.5 lbs wheat syrup
2 lbs DME Light

PLEASE HELP! I PUT A LOT OF WORK INTO THIS RECIPE AND I WOULD HATE FOR NASTY BACTERIA OR WILD YEAST TO DESTROY IT! THANKS!!!

Where are you at? If you can, go get more yeast. Those White Labs vials are really short on cells as it is. It's the middle of the night, though, here in the States, so you're not getting any tonight. If you don't see anything happening within about 36 hrs, re-pitch.

In the future, make a starter. It's foolproof.

Ditto on the starter and I've had those vials foam over on me as well. When getting ready to use, take them out of the fridge and loosen the cap before it starts getting to room temp to release the pressure as the yeasties start doing their morning excercises... I toss a damp sanitized paper towel over it to be make sure nothing tries getting in.

i always take mine out of the fridge and let it come to room temp while i make my starter, and shake it several times while it's warming up. just open it SLOW, like a soda bottle, and you'll be fine next time.

I've only used White Labs once and didn't have the problem, but don't remember my exact procedure. In any case, another good reason to make a starter!

I do have to admit I'm nervous as hell when I snip the corner of a Wyeast packet that's bursting at the seams! Why they don't explode when snipped is beyond me, but a good thing.

thanks for all the advice -- i will go get some more yeast today then. i just hate to open the lid -- seems like a prime oppurtunity for bacteria t get into the wort.

All you have to do is crack it and quickly dump the vial. You can wipe the vial down with a no-rinse sanitizer before you open it to be super safe. As long as you're careful you'll have minimal exposure to infection.

I did that once! I had no problems and didn't have to add more yeast. I'd only add more if, as Sam75 says, you haven't seen any activity after quite some time.

And I now always make a starter a day or two before brewing! :D

I went and bought another vial and cracked the lid of my primary and poured it. Not sure if this was neccessary as there was a lot of activity in the airlock and I peeked inside and saw a thick krausen already. Oh well, guess an extra 40 million cells won't hurt anything right?

Sam75 said:
... In the future, make a starter. It's foolproof.

Best advise you can get!!!

I have my stir plate right next to my keyboard swirling a WLP051 California Ale V starter for my next Hop Rod Rye. Brew day is tomorrow.

milholen said:
I went and bought another vial and cracked the lid of my primary and poured it. Not sure if this was neccessary as there was a lot of activity in the airlock and I peeked inside and saw a thick krausen already. Oh well, guess an extra 40 million cells won't hurt anything right?

You should have a good ferment for sure.

Back