Splitting all grain kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZBeer

Reaction score
I haven't brewed from a kit in awhile, but I was looking through some online, and there is some interesting looking kits out there.

How do they typically ship the grains? All bagged together? Or bagged individually?

I brew smaller batches than 5g,and I am wondering if I could split them up.

From my experience, they package the grain all together in a plastic bag. What I do when I split kits is to mix up the grain as best as I can then just measure out the amount I need. The mix isn't perfect but I've never noticed any difference in flavor or appearance.

Any kit I've ever bought came with all the grains mixed. Depending on where you are looking to buy the kit from, you can see the ingredient list. Just buy your own grains and adjust for your batch size.

Also depending on the vendor, some will split up the 5G grain amounts into separate 1G version amounts. Just ask them ahead of time.

Thanks for the info guys. I have been looking through the recipes at a couple of sites, no reason I can't steal some recipes from there I suppose.

Back