spontaneous hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thooper41

Reaction score
so i planted 10 hop rhizomes into 10 buckets about 2 months ago. all are growing except one, the zeus was small and didnt have any sprouts so i thought it was a goner. so about 3 weeks ago i took it out and replanted it in a bucket which already had another hop growing so i could plant my raspberrys in the bucket the zeus was in. i went outside today and in the bucket where my raspberries should be growing it looks like a small hop plant is sprouting

the raspberry is the stem coming up on the right side and what i think are hops are on the left. they have spines on the stem and somewhat hop shaped leaves. any ideas?

IMG_2029.jpg

I put hops in for the first time this year, but I've had a raspberry patch for about 7 years. That looks to me like a raspberry shoot. The established canes will grow on last year's wood *and* send up new plants in the spring. The leaves have jagged edges like hops and tend to have three parts, but not in the same proportion as the hop leaves. Both plants will have spines on the stem, but the raspberry plants have honest-to-goodness thorns. The lobes on hop leaves are more round than raspberries and don't have as deep a cut-out between them.

You should be able to tell in a day or two which you have there by comparing the leaves on your mystery plant to the other hops. My three (Cascade, Liberty, Willamette) are all slightly different but still more like each other than like raspberries.

One other way to tell what you've got in the spring is that hops spread a little bit (off the original rhizome) but the raspberries will spread a *lot*. Every spring I have to dig out new canes that tunneled under 36" of concrete slab. The only thing that keeps those bad boys in check is the lawn mower...or planting them in a pail. Good thinking.

I put hops in for the first time this year, but I've had a raspberry patch for about 7 years. That looks to me like a raspberry shoot. The established canes will grow on last year's wood *and* send up new plants in the spring. The leaves have jagged edges like hops and tend to have three parts, but not in the same proportion as the hop leaves. Both plants will have spines on the stem, but the raspberry plants have honest-to-goodness thorns. The lobes on hop leaves are more round than raspberries and don't have as deep a cut-out between them.

You should be able to tell in a day or two which you have there by comparing the leaves on your mystery plant to the other hops. My three (Cascade, Liberty, Willamette) are all slightly different but still more like each other than like raspberries.

One other way to tell what you've got in the spring is that hops spread a little bit (off the original rhizome) but the raspberries will spread a *lot*. Every spring I have to dig out new canes that tunneled under 36" of concrete slab. The only thing that keeps those bad boys in check is the lawn mower...or planting them in a pail. Good thinking.

yea you may be right about it being raspberries because when my hops spouted they were purple and didnt have leaves. i guess time will tell though, thanks for the info.

are you sure its not a maple tree? I have a few maple trees around me (and hense a ton of seeds fell including into my garden) and their sprouts look just like hop leaves.

I thought my Goldings died out-for the last several years the single bine would grow 3-4 feet and then die back-no cones.
So I tilled (completely tilled) the planting area and transplanted a Hallertau in its place.

The Hallertau is now about 2 feet high, but about six inches away is a small bine that has different leaves about 3 inches high, that look alot like the Goldings. Apparently I did not till deep enough. But based on its past performance I'm not worrried-it will only grow a couple of feet and stop, so it wont interfere or mingle with the Hallertau.

Just wanted to point out how hardy they are-like I said, I thought I tilled all the old rootstock away.

Back