Spoon whirlpool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
It's common to read that stirring your chilled wort vigorously will settle the trub into a cone. I've not had that experience. Does it really work?

I stir like crazy and it's a virtual whirlpool tsunami in the kettle. I wait about 15-20 minutes after stirring before draining into a fermenter but I've never seen a "cone" of trub. I use a Spike pick up tube which is 5/8" and it siphons it out pretty quickly so maybe the siphon current is disrupting the cone. I'm still playing with the angle of the side pickup dip tube to get the most wort without too much trub. I usually don't worry about this but with a lot of late hops I've been getting more debris.

I tried it once. I also didn't get a cone.... But then again I barely waited 15 minutes at most. Lately I have upped the amount of pre-boil wort so that I can leave a little of the thickest trub in the kettle and still get the volume that I want into the fermenter.

never heard it recommended to 'stir vigorously' before. I stir gently during cool down, and then give the pot a gentle swirl once the immersion chiller is removed

YMMV of course

Maybe vigorously is not a good description but I've seen those "whirlpool paddles" attached to drills that spin pretty fast.

I tried it once. I also didn't get a cone.... But then again I barely waited 15 minutes at most. Lately I have upped the amount of pre-boil wort so that I can leave a little of the thickest trub in the kettle and still get the volume that I want into the fermenter.

Thanks. That was my Plan B

You just need to wait longer is my guess. I just do a WP with my pump for like 1 minute and let it sit for 60-90 minutes. I have no pickup tube though, just a port. That should take care of the hops at least, break material is a different thing.

It's common to read that stirring your chilled wort vigorously will settle the trub into a cone. I've not had that experience. Does it really work?

I stir like crazy and it's a virtual whirlpool tsunami in the kettle. I wait about 15-20 minutes after stirring before draining into a fermenter but I've never seen a "cone" of trub. I use a Spike pick up tube which is 5/8" and it siphons it out pretty quickly so maybe the siphon current is disrupting the cone. I'm still playing with the angle of the side pickup dip tube to get the most wort without too much trub. I usually don't worry about this but with a lot of late hops I've been getting more debris.
filter as it goes into the fermenter. also helps with getting some oxygen into the wort.

Patience is probably your best bet. I dont pump to whirlpool . I just chill it as rapidly as possible ,stir a little as it chills and let it sit . When the wort transfers and gets close I gently tilt the kettle to get most of the wort. I still get some trub to follow but its really not that big of a deal.

Back