Squid ink :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzu

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a recipe going that will give me a very dark beer, without any strong flavor from any dark malts. I keep playing with using carafa or sinimar, but the pres of my brew club has suggested the possibility of squid's ink for color.

My desire is to get this beer past 30 SRM, with no visible red hue, and NO dark malt/roasty/bitter flavor.

Any experiences with squid ink? I read that there is a slight salty flavor.. I'm thinking if so I may be able to balance it with some sulfate additions.

Cheers!

Why not just use debittered?

But then again, if Oyster Stouts work, why not Squid Ink Stouts. But first, you gotta ink milk the squid.

Look up a good Schwarzbier recipe. They're dark lagers and don't taste very stout-y. Or just add Carafa Special II. It's a de-husked roasted barley malt that adds aroma, colour & body, with a mild and smooth flavour.

+1 for Carafa Special II. It is de-husked, and adds almost no taste, and certainly no burnt flavors. You dont need a lot, and you can actually go ahead and grind it all the way down, even finer than your grain mill. Through it in the coffee grinder, you will get more surface area for the color to permeate. And you really wont even need a lot of it to get your 30 SRM...

Latest posts

Back