Stealing brewery glassware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not lately, but way back at Jester King, dudes would sit at the outside picnic tables with bottles arranged in front of them looking to trade for the latest bottles....

... one of the reasons they banned outside alcohol on their property some years back, I'm sure.

I've seen behavior like this at Fremont and Holy Mountain recently. I just don't understand.

I'd be interested to hear how a similar idea is working out for Narrow Gauge in St. Louis. They also use branded in-house glassware and don't sell it, but they do sell (or at least have sold) the same glassware but with different color print. I believe the on-premise glasses have white lettering, while the ones sold to go have included light blue and potentially some other colors. When I was there the bartender informed me that the idea was to call out/shame anyone caught using the in-house glasses on Instagram, Untappd, etc.

That’s sounds like a perfectly good use of their time.

It seemed like a strange approach to me too, unless I really am dead-wrong that most customers who lift glassware would pay for it were the option available.

This isn't even totally a craft beer/secondary market/shitlord problem either (although in the case of Tree House that's probably the main driving factor). At the popular local bar in town I'll usually set up shop outside on the deck, and I see frat boy types walking off with Bud Light pint glasses all the time. The parking lot is the smoking area so there's always tons of people milling about (and no security unless a fight starts or whatever) so just walking to a car or out of the lot with a glass in hand is easy.

"1 in 10 people here are stealing things off the bar so I need to put your credit card in a box on the bar."

Don't think so.
I do not believe I have ever handed over my card to be stuck in a box at a bar anytime in my life.

Cash only at bars, well cash only pretty much everywhere to be honest.

I used to own a number of fancy German glasses from a trip to Germany many years ago. They kicked us out of the bar each night and I usually had 2 beers left. What you going to do?
25 years later I still only own one of them.

Os is the real criminal here for using ellipsis nstead of periods all the time...
I was catching up over the last 4 pages thinking the same thing. Talk about wrong.
seriously... at the end of it all... a business wants to find out who is stealing from them... that's it. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

and I get the natural reaction of thinking of avoiding the issue... and I particularly like the idea of holding an open tab/card/ID until the glass is returned, but it may not be feasible for some logistic reason...

but it's their business and they wanted to do it a certain way... ethos and aesthetics... ambiance and experience... sure, you may say it makes no difference to you but some people appreciate it....

how the main issue is being overlooked is funny to me... stealing is wrong... it's a bad trend and it's not excusable... if you want to blame prices, then should you be buying beer that you feel is overpriced?

again, they knew... and they still want to try and make it work by eliminating the culprits... I don't see what's so wrong about that

as I said, some of the suggestions are good... but to point the finger and act like they are wrong (which many in here are doing) for asking on social media that anyone be reported for theft is the odd turn this took... it's their business and they are trying to run it in a particular way... they are asking their "loyal customers" to report theft. How Treehouse became the issue here is crazy to me...

great, if you are looking at it as just a industry-wide issue and have opinions and suggestions on how to avoid things, great... but at the end of the day, Treehouse is a small business that has made an effort to run things a certain way, and they are not full on blaming all their customers as some have made it seem... they are just asking for help in identifying people who stole from them

Now this seems contradictory... but even that aside... you are either giving them too much credit that they don't know they are doing anything wrong... or not enough credit that they are smart enough to know what they are doing is wrong...

And for all the criticism some are giving Nate for posting this on social media, it would seem like a good thing to call out the issue if people do indeed think it's acceptable, No?

We talk about this industry and how important it is to educate the consumer... seems like "stealing is bad" would be some necessary education under this premise

as much as I love Treehouse, the brewery, beer, and the staff... I'm not surprised by this... every time I've been there it's like a flea market of trades... I don't mean the pre-arranged "I'll meet you and we'll trade" things... but people literally with the trunk popped and a line up of what they have to offer... they have the most bizarre regulars, and some of them really lessen the experience for me...

I can't wait until it's all just beer and I can go and have a pint and grab a few 6ers and chill... seems like it's starting to go in that direction

I really have never seen anything quite like it... saw something similar happening in Trillium in Canton but I was only there once and didn't stick around very long...

The fact that this thread is 5 pages long (and growing) just proves how awful the beer "hobby" is in general. Do you think in some alternate universe some restaurant owner made a Facebook post about people stealing his monogrammed silver wear? Highly unlikely.

Not to mention this is the same hobby where one of the biggest complaints are grown men cutting in line.

Any time I'm feeling bad about my life I'll at least be able to say "hey, I've never stolen glasses from a brewery's taproom and then flipped them from a trunk in the same brewery's parking lot like bootleg rap tapes, so I've got that going for me."

ISO: bootleg rap tapes

Upon further thought and discussion, here's what it comes down to for me: If you observe an undesirable result repeated over and over again by the humans participating in any given process, you don't blame the humans - you blame the process.

Hyperbole alert:

Look man, this whole civilization and society thing governed by laws isn't working. We've outlawed murder and rape for sometime now, and we keep getting these undesireable results repeated over and over again by the humans participating in civilization.

Its not that the people with free will are doing wrong, its that the process has failed them.

That would be like blaming you for not having better word filter "homie" workarounds that led to evilc getting banned, when you knew that humans use language some find offensive (hornydevil/beereeear etc. . ).

I do not believe I have ever handed over my card to be stuck in a box

Same here, never seen a prostitute take a credit card unless in a brothel (legal).

Hyperbole alert:

Look man, this whole civilization and society thing governed by laws isn't working. We've outlawed murder and rape for sometime now, and we keep getting these undesireable results repeated over and over again by the humans participating in civilization.

Its not that the people with free will are doing wrong, its that the process has failed them.

That would be like blaming you for not having better word filter "homie" workarounds that led to evilc getting banned, when you knew that humans use language some find offensive (hornydevil/beereeear etc. . ).

Same here, never seen a prostitute take a credit card unless in a brothel (legal).

When one in ten people are committing murder I’ll agree with you that society as a system is broken.

I'm just glad I was able to show that whether one blames the victim or society is a selective thing related to personal bias and hypocrisy. Quite often, the rationales behind the differences are shown to be flimsy.

Victim A: I don't identify as much with that victim. That victim should have acted different.

Same person, believes in the victim/cause moreso.

Victim B: Victim blaming/shaming is ____ -ist. You are further victimizing the victim!

I'm just glad I was able to show that whether one blames the victim or society is a selective thing related to personal bias and hypocrisy. Quite often, the rationales behind the differences are shown to be flimsy.

Victim A: I don't identify as much with that victim. That victim should have acted different.

Same person, believes in the victim/cause moreso.

Victim B: Victim blaming/shaming is ____ -ist. You are further victimizing the victim!
In all cases where a problem is so pervasive, you can (at least partially) blame the systems surrounding both the victim and the perpetrator.

Hyperbole alert:

And, yes, that is hyperbole: We’d see an awful lot more crime if there were no system in place to mitigate it. A perfect system (crime is detected with 100% accuracy, and the perpetrator is automatically and instantly punished) would be closer to 100% effective at preventing crime, but we don’t have that capability for a number of reasons, so our imperfect system has imperfect results. It’s all relative. But you already knew that.

How is anyone on this site still engaging with Barf? He has no interest in an actual dialogue. Seriously, everyone just stop

skip-bayless.jpg

In all cases where a problem is so pervasive, you can (at least partially) blame the systems surrounding both the victim and the perpetrator.

I think the problem with this is that you are suggesting "blame" on the system, which is incorrect. A thief is entirely responsible for the blame of their actions. Regardless of whether it was easy (pack of gum at the grocery store or a bank heist) they are to blame.

I can certainly agree that the system could be better prepared or created to remove or weaken the temptation as a result of thieves, but not blame.

And, yes, that is hyperbole: We’d see an awful lot more crime if there were no system in place to mitigate it. A perfect system (crime is detected with 100% accuracy, and the perpetrator is automatically and instantly punished) would be closer to 100% effective at preventing crime, but we don’t have that capability for a number of reasons, so our imperfect system has imperfect results. It’s all relative. But you already knew that.

Didn't you just essentially describe this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tom...ndroid-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

If I like a glass, I ask the bartender if I can buy it. If you're not a dick, the bartender will usually tell you to take the ****ing thing. Tip them an extra $5 and call it square.

This obviously doesn't apply to Treehouse's situation which is a consequence of the glass-bro times we live in.

For those who believe the "system" is to blame, since the time of the ancient Greeks, and probably before that, we've tried to figure out why people commit crimes and deter the behavior.

Want to know WHY people engage in criminal conduct? Here you go:

Still of Patty McCormack in The Bad Seed (1956)
http://imdb.com/media/rm1397948672/tt0048977/

Also, this song really resonates with me, particularly because of this line:

"Bad people like to do bad things, I don't wanna be better, I don't wanna be saved.."

We stole a lot of weizen glasses from TGI Fridays in college. We also stole trophies from bar league sports teams, we had a bunch. We walked out with two high backed bar stools once. We stole a ****ing fire hydrant.

Some people are ********, we were ********.

We stole a lot of weizen glasses from TGI Fridays in college. We also stole trophies from bar league sports teams, we had a bunch. We walked out with two high backed bar stools once. We stole a ****ing fire hydrant.

Some people are ********, we were ********.

Could be worse, you could have punched a police horse.

MordorMongo

How is anyone on this site still engaging with Barf? He has no interest in an actual dialogue. Seriously, everyone just stop

How is anyone on this site still engaging in the lemming dontengage game years later?

I mean, for all your group chats trying to organize groupthink abstenion, all the posts begging/asking/commanding people to do as you say. . . and yet, still. . . in 2018. . . people still doing what they want instead of what you want. . .

You guys either suck at being persuasive, the facts aren't on your side and/or leadership isn't your thing on this topic.

The efforts are enjoyable from my perspective though, so thank you for your support and attention trying to limit my support and attention. . .

giphy.gif

TH does some things on purpose under the guise of not knowing better, some odd fallacious thought of the land or community, and under the guise of experience.

They really are either that naive or they know exactly what they are doing. I suspect the latter.

They have been open too long to not understand the brand of the majority of thier customers. They still pretend to be blind to it and only speak out when it can or does directly affect them.

Stealing is shitty but I have no sympathy for them. They have shown a lack of motivation to change avoidable problems the whole time they have been open. Most go completely unaddressed until they get blowback from someone outside of the fan base.

People shouldn't be stealing but TH had zero experience to back up anything else happening. They have actively dug this hole and I'm glad to see them have to sit in it and figure out a way out.

TH does some things on purpose under the guise of not knowing better, some odd fallacious thought of the land or community, and under the guise of experience.

They really are either that naive or they know exactly what they are doing. I suspect the latter.

They have been open too long to not understand the brand of the majority of thier customers. They still pretend to be blind to it and only speak out when it can or does directly affect them.

Stealing is shitty but I have no sympathy for them. They have shown a lack of motivation to change avoidable problems the whole time they have been open. Most go completely unaddressed until they get blowback from someone outside of the fan base.

People shouldn't be stealing but TH had zero experience to back up anything else happening. They have actively dug this hole and I'm glad to see them have to sit in it and figure out a way out.
Outside of this glass situation, what in the **** are you talking about? They are probably the most efficient brewery I've seen that has the demand that they do.

Treehouse, well done, keep doing you and serving up insane quality in the quantity that you can.

Cheers

Outside of this glass situation, what in the **** are you talking about? They are probably the most efficient brewery I've seen that has the demand that they do.

Treehouse, well done, keep doing you and serving up insane quality in the quantity that you can.

Cheers

They got booted out of 1 brewery and were forced to move on from another because the wouldn't do anything to mitigate the lines. They were being forced open in the second spot by the crowd per the town. Inmates running the asylum. They retweet and like obvious mule posts on Twitter but pretend to care about people line sitting more than once. They only spoke up about road sodas when they were spoken to which was a huge bragging point for ever. They build a new brewery with no thought to function or flow.

They make great beer. That is it. People need to stop pretending like they are business gurus that have it all figured out. They aren't and they don't. It's one of the worst "experience" breweries in existence but they sell you the opposite. The zombies repeat that nonsense.

They act surprised the whole time. Please. The glass situation is just another example of creating thier own problems and acting perplexed at the culture they created.

They got booted out of 1 brewery and were forced to move on from another because the wouldn't do anything to mitigate the lines. They were being forced open in the second spot by the crowd per the town. Inmates running the asylum. They retweet and like obvious mule posts on Twitter but pretend to care about people line sitting more than once. They only spoke up about road sodas when they were spoken to which was a huge bragging point for ever. They build a new brewery with no thought to function or flow.

They act surprised the whole time. Please. The glass situation is just another example of creating thier own problems and acting perplexed at the culture they created.
You're a lunatic. Respectfully speaking, of course. For a brewery like theirs, I think they've done a tremendous job of managing expectations and offering quality and quantity as they've grown. There is no pleasing the masses and the new Charlton location couldn't have been planned much better than it is. Their new brewery accommodates 5x+ the amount of customers and people still keep coming. Why not just be happy for them and their success? The notion of 15k+ customers a week lining up for beer is unprecedented and imo, they're doing a great ****ing job setting the standard.

Go troll somewhere else. Thanks. Cheers.

You're a lunatic. Respectfully speaking, of course. For a brewery like theirs, I think they've done a tremendous job of managing expectations and offering quality and quantity as they've grown. There is no pleasing the masses and the new Charlton location couldn't have been planned much better than it is. Their new brewery accommodates 5x+ the amount of customers and people still keep coming. Why not just be happy for them and their success? The notion of 15k+ customers a week lining up for beer is unprecedented and imo, they're doing a great ****ing job setting the standard.

Go troll somewhere else. Thanks. Cheers.
I've been here quite some time. I'm not a troll. Nice try at dismissing though. Let's not address the explaination you asked for.

I get it. You are the tree house fanboy that can't take a step back from your binky to see reality and can't bear to see anything non-positive said about them.

You know why I'm not just happy with thier success? I'm not thier buddy like the fanboys pretend they are. I don't give a **** about thier success if it's not consumer friendly. It isn't You thinking they do a tremendous job really doesn't change the reality of how they handle problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back