Steeping temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doobiebrewer

Reaction score
Does the temperature of the steep in extract brewing effect final abv? I usually steep grains at 152° but want to make a big imperial stout and not finding temps and times.

I am not a chemist, but I believe that if you are in the mash range, and have diastatic power, you will get conversion. But the grains may not be a big part of your recipe. In any case, 152 is good.

In the extract kits and recipes that I have used, the steeping grains are mostly for flavor. If they add fermentables, as in crystal malts, the conversion was done during the kilning process. In other words, you are just making tea. If you go over about 170°F, you risk extracting tannins from the grain husks, but otherwise temperature isn't at all critical. 140 - 160 is a good safe range.

Because you don't know how fermentable the LME is , especialy in a RIS I would steep some base grains at 148* for 60 min to get a beer lower then 1.020. If the recipie has no base malt for steeping I like to put the grains in rite away (keeping the bag off the bottom) and pull at 170*, I just adjust the heat so that takes about 30 min.

Your steeping grains can be done the same as tea. People make sun tea at not much above room temperature and can make tea with boiling water also. Some kits will have you put them into the water when it is still cool and remove them when the water begins to boil. It all works with steeping grains.

Steeping the grains in the 148 to 158F range is best, not because of the steeping itself, but as practice for when you decide all grain is for you or for those times when a kit has a base malt included and that temperature range is where the conversion will happen. If you always steep in that range, it won't matter if base malts are included or not.

Back