Stink bugs in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippyclown

Reaction score
I want to dry hop a beer with stink bugs. Halyomorpha halys, also known as the brown marmorated stink bug. The smell is a defense mechanism but it's not a bad smell. See for yourself. Next time you see a stink bug, yell something unsavory about his mother and take a whiff: Freshly cut grass and citrus. I have often though that a grass and citrus cologne made from those bugs would make me rich. I would call it quite simply "Stink -- For men". But now I've had a few Heady Toppers and I'm thinking those little guys would make me a kick ass beer. Stink. Double Stink. Session Stink. Some wild yeast in there and we've got Funky Stink. Are you following me or no?

zc

Collect stink bugs in glass jar. Agitate stink bugs. Collect spray from jar, maybe with a spoon, or maybe you throw some dry whole hops in there to soak up the spray.

How many stink bugs you need, I dunno. How many you got?

I've spent the better part of the afternoon collecting stink bugs. This will be an epic saison. Going to add a couple at 60 minutes for a few IBU's and then a bunch at flamout. Does bug debris settle out with a cold crash? If I can't get it all out I'll just write "drink from the bottle" on the label. Decided that I'm going to name this one simply "**** Beer". Because I think people's expectations will be low, but then when that grassy stink hits the stink buds in the back of the tongue they'll be like "WOAH". Are you listening?

zc

All I want to know is how those mf'ers stay alive all winter and find their way into the house in below freezing temps.

Good god man that's genius. You're right, I could use them in a lager.

I've spent the better part of the afternoon collecting stink bugs. This will be an epic saison. Going to add a couple at 60 minutes for a few IBU's and then a bunch at flamout. Does bug debris settle out with a cold crash? If I can't get it all out I'll just write "drink from the bottle" on the label. Decided that I'm going to name this one simply "**** Beer". Because I think people's expectations will be low, but then when that grassy stink hits the stink buds in the back of the tongue they'll be like "WOAH". Are you listening?

zc

Wait....

You mean you haven't sobered up yet?

This is one hell of a holiday weekend bender!

I smell what you are stepping in. Sounds great. Keep us posted. When you hit the big time with this, remember Uncle Tom who always encouraged you.

Wait....

You mean you haven't sobered up yet?

This is one hell of a holiday weekend bender!

At 4am this morning I woke up disoriented with my head pounding and a sick stomach. I was naked in the middle of the kitchen floor, surrounded by bugs. Hundreds of them. I was covered with their stink. Minutes of vomiting led to hours of dry heaving. I looked in the mirror and I didn't like what I saw staring back at me. It was a stink bug. He was caught in my hair. I freed him, and we had a deep discussion over coffee. I have good news, friends. He likes what I'm doing. He wrote me a check for $250k and wants me to open a brewery.

zc

Back