Stinky Beer!! Please read and add insight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitrGy

Reaction score
I finished my 1st Wheat beer in keg, It was great. I am a stickler for sanitation! at the same time a freind was fermenting a Chech Pilsner. and his attention to sanitation Leaves a bit to be desired. his transfer to carboy may of not been very clean and when I checked his airlock after a vew days in the carboy I noticed he hadn't even put enough water in it to bring it to a level where it was even functioning as an airlock, full air exposer. Now today after 2 weeks in carboy things looked clear and he wanted to go into keg. When I went down to help with the transfer someone had convinced him to put the carboy out in the snowbank to crash cool it. I was sort of amazed how anyone could think something settling for 2 weeks clarifying could be abruptly agitated and then maraculusly cleared in an hour in the snow bank. anyhow, to each his own!. i tried to carefully carry the carboy back to have it racked to keg. and he wanted me to filter it tonight and force carb it. now from the damaged goods I was dealt with to start with I tried my best to do all the filtering and carbing ( 10" B3 filter/ carb pressure from keg to keg, kegs super clean, than it is in the kegerater now carbing. but man it was the stinkiest beer I ever smelt which I think I know all the reasons why, but can someone please affirm this for me.
Thanks.

Before carbination it was almost like a stinky armpit or wet sock smell. I gave a glass to my wife to smell and she wouldn't even consider taking a sip she said it was very gross. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be funny. But funny thing is I shook carbed it an hr ago and its in the fridge. and after you posted I poured a small glass to see what it smelt like but with some carb in place now it actually didn't seem quite as bad. I'll give it some time I guess. I'm a bit worried about the shelf life though. man it was like gag reflex stinky before I carbed it. we'll see what happens I guess. :drunk:

If he actually used a lager yeast, sulfur smells wouldn't be unusual. Sweaty is probably Brettanomyces bacteria. Since he wasn't brewing a Lambic, I'd say this is shot. People do drink Lambics, at least I know a few who say they do..

It was a lager maybe thats all it is but I don't think so. I assume something like this would worsen with age vs. get better if it is a bacteria? If the airlock was out of the fermenter for a couple days and the 2ndary carboy wasn'y that clean could that cause this?

Back