Storing LME thats in a bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerhead

Reaction score
Hey I just ordered a 6lb bag of Maris Otter extract from Williams, but "unfortunately" they didn't have any more six pound bags so they gave me an 8lb bag for no additional cost. However I had planned to use all 6lbs in my next batch, so now i am going to have 2lbs left over. This wouldn't be so bad except it came in a bag, and im not sure if storing 2lbs of extract in tupperware would be a problem. How would you guys go about this?

Throw it in and add some more hops and maybe some adjuncts and see what comes out. I think I ended up with what would qualify as a 80 shilling last time I had stuff to get rid of.

I think they recommend somehow spraying a layer of CO2 over it to keep any bacteria or yeast from living in it after you open it, but if you can't do that (I'm not sure how you would) I would just reseal the bag and throw it in a pot of boiling water for 5-10 minutes to pasteurize it. Make sure there's no air in it though because it's sure to get messy if there's a lot of air expanding in a sealed container of sticky malt extract.

I'd throw it in the boil and rename whatever you are brewing as "Imperial."

+1

Or just seal it up and throw it in the freezer until you make a yeast starter next.
Edit: worth noting that if you *do* freeze it you should let it warm up before you open the bag, or all the steam in your kitchen from the beermaking will instantly condense and turn it to goo.
Edit2: So yeah... Edit1 would only really apply if you had DME instead of LME. I read DME when I read your OP. :p

+1

Or just seal it up and throw it in the freezer until you make a yeast starter next.
Edit: worth noting that if you *do* freeze it you should let it warm up before you open the bag, or all the steam in your kitchen from the beermaking will instantly condense and turn it to goo.

Yeah i think ill prolly end up saving some in the freezer for a starter then toss the rest in the batch. Thanks for the help guys.

Back