Stout recipe critiques wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happywanderer

Reaction score
Ok. Bout to brew a stout based off NB coffee stout kit, but making with what my LHBS has on hand....need your feedback on my ideas for this brew.

Here's the details:
Specialty Grains
.5lbs Chocolate ~450*L
.5lbs Black ~500*L
.5lbs Crystal 80*L
Malt
7lbs Light DME (or amber)
Hops
1oz nugget or target @ 60mins
1oz fuggle US @ 15 mins
Extras.
4oz Coarse ground dark roast coffee @ flame out
6oz cacao nibs in secondary (soaked in a bit of bourbon)
2 vanilla beans in secondary (soaked in a bit of bourbon)

Yeast Starter from WY1968

Calculated values
OG 1.064
FG 1.020
IBU 40.6
SRM 40L
ABV 6.1

The calculated numbers at middle of the style for an American stout.

Will primary for 1 week and secondary for two weeks. Bottle condition and pop 1 after 2 weeks to check carbonation and flavor.

Any ideas? And... Could I get away with adding 1lbs of flaked oats to the steep? I know most say oats are for AG or PM brewing... I don't want the sugars from the oats - but am trying to get some of that smooth mouthful from an oatmeal stout.

No roasted barley on hand? Chocolate malt will give you a bit of roastiness, but you should really have some roasted barley in there for a stout, maybe a 1:1 replacement of the black patent. The debate rages, but one simple rule of thumb many people follow is Roasted Barley for a stout, Black Patent for a porter.

No personal experience, but most folks seem to recommend light DME for a brew like this, you'll get your color from the steeping grains.

Don't know for certain about the oatmeal, but I believe it'll work as you hope.

If you use instant oats, you can steep them. "Old fashioned" mush be cereal mashed.

If you're worried about the extra gravity points, just leave out some DME.

Also, I would not add coffee at flameout - it'll taste like stale shartty coffee by the time you bottle. Cold steep it in a jar or French press in the fridge, concentrated, then press or pour through cheesecloth and then add to your secondary or better yet bottling bucket / keg. That's a cheap wuick explanation, but search these forums or google cold press coffee methods. They work much better for beer than adding grounds to the kettle. Cheers!

Thanks for heads up on the coffee. I'll add it to the secondary. I've got a French press, so I'll just brew up a bit and add to secondary with cacao nibs and vanilla beans.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Ok. Had to go with what the LHBS had because I made the choice to support the local guys on this batch. Kinda $$$ for the Golden Light DME. But I did get 9lbs (extra on hand for starters and whatnot).

Had to go with WLP002 for yeast. Starter is ... Starting ... Beside me as I type this. Shouldn't change much. I'll ferment at 69-70 and see how it turns out.

Everything else he had. So. I'll brew Thursday morning (after letting the yeast settle out in the fridge) and let y'all know OG. Hoping to get around 1.068 OG. Plan on 7 days primary/10 days secondary/2wks bottle. Give or take a day. Cause I'm forgetful.

please forgive me, Im fairly new to home brewing, and Ive got my second extract brewing now....but I have a question about the OG/FG and ABV with this recipe...

per your original post...

Calculated values
OG 1.064
FG 1.020
IBU 40.6
SRM 40L
ABV 6.1

per my calculations

1.064- 1.020 = .044 (.044x 131.25 = 5.775)

am I missing something that is boosting this ABV??.....Again, I am a newbie to this process and I am only asking because I want to understand the entire process....

This turned out stellar after four months of bottle aging. Beautiful chocolate stout. Not too overpowering chocolate. Nice and subtle.

I didn't add coffee. Didn't want to mess with it too much. For the chocolate, I soaked about 3oz roasted cacao nibs in vodka for a few days to extract the essence. Also added two vanilla beans in with the soak. Added that to secondary when I racked over.

I could up the cacao nibs to 4-6 oz for more pronounced chocolate flavor.

OG was 1.071
FG was 1.023

ABV was about 6.7 but with the added vodka slurry, it would be around 7.

SRM ... DARK. Probably 38-40L.

IBU. - 38-40 give or take.

Thick like motor oil. Very nice. All-grain with oats would add better mouthfeel or perhaps adding carapils.

I'll brew it again. Key with this one is patience. Carbed on the low end ... Probably 2.0 -ish.

Back