Stout - To keg or not to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
I have an Irish Dry Stout in the secondary. I have also recently started kegging. I understand that you need nitro and a stout tap to really do this right. Should I bottle instead? Given the choice to keg with co2 and picnic tap or bottle which would be best for this beer?

I guess it depends on how disappointed you would be with your stout not having that great texture and creamy head. I bottle my stouts because a) no kegerator and b) no stout faucet (obviously ;)) so for me it's an easy choice.

I think if I had the option to keg my stout for regular consumption it would be a no-brainer for me. :)

I keg my stouts, prime them and add champaign yeast. It does a good job of producing a classical stout head.

If you want then keg it. Bottling it will produce a normal CO2 body anywho. Nitro and a stout tap is fun but not at all necessary.

Personally, I avoid bottling at all cost ;)

Cheers :D

Bottling won't make it taste any more like a true stout than kegging it. Personally, I think that force carbonated stout would taste more "real" than that carbed with corn sugar.

Speaking purely from a literal perspective, stouts should be kegged with beer gas rather than straight CO2. The nitrogen in the mix results in smaller bubbles and the cascade effect that Guinness is famous for. That being said, there's no problem kegging a stout with straight CO2, it's much easier to find that beer gas.

david_42 said:
I keg my stouts, prime them and add champaign yeast. It does a good job of producing a classical stout head.

Do you mind explaining that a bit more? How much yeast do you use, what kind of sugar for priming and are you still force carbonating. Sorry for the questions but I had problems with the carbonation with my last stout I kegged.

I use an entire package of yeast and 1/2 cup of priming sugar. Give it 3-4 weeks at room temperature. I have absolutely no idea why champaign yeast makes for small bubbles and a creamy head, but it does.

I put it under pressure to serve, about 12 PSI.

I have an Oatmeal Stout that I split in half for conditiong. Half of it I kegged and the other half I bottled. When I bottled it I added a lactose and DME for priming. I didn't add anything into the kegged half. I would have to say I definetly like the bottled version better. It has so much more mouth feel and body than the kegged half. If only I could compare them to a NO2 system as well.......

david_42 said:
I use an entire package of yeast and 1/2 cup of priming sugar. Give it 3-4 weeks at room temperature. I have absolutely no idea why champaign yeast makes for small bubbles and a creamy head, but it does.

I put it under pressure to serve, about 12 PSI.

Awesome. I'll certainly be giving this a try my next stout. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back