Strange Particles in First Kettle Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstway

Reaction score
My first attempt at a kettle sour has been quite the journey. My gose recipe is a basic 50/50 pilsner/wheat with salt and coriander along with a little Perle hops. I pre-acidified down to a pH of 4.5 then continued with Wyeast 5335 Lactobacillus which I don’t think was viable since after four days the pH didn’t move. I then added a Goodbelly Super Shot (50 billion cells but at the product’s end date) and the pH began to drop. It took a total of nine days to get to a pH of 3.8 (I wasn’t waiting any longer). Finished off with a 30 minute boil for the hops and 10 minutes of that for the salt and coriander. After ten days I racked it to a keg and all seemed fine. It does taste great but appears to have one potential problem – a few strange floating dots with each pour . No matter how many pours I do there are a few pencil-tip sized grey dots floating in the beer. These dots don’t appear to be organic material since they “smoosh” when touched. Are these dots some form of mold? In my many years of brewing have never had anything floating in my beer. Any ideas? Just want to be sure the beer is “safe.”

Photo?

BTW there are much easier methods to making sour beer:
https://***************.com/wiki/Sour_beer

Back