Strange yeast... what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbieOByrne

Reaction score
Yeast Type: Safale US-05 Ale Dry Yeast

Yeast Starter: Mild for the first day, then nothing...
*This is where I was a little worried.

Pitching the yeast: Mild for the first day, then nothing. All kraeusen cleared out by day two... No activity for the next two weeks.

Present: Open the closet to start secondary fermentation and poof kraeusen is back and its bubbling more then ever before.

Logic:

1. I have a blowoff tube connected to a gallon water with star san in it, this same bottle of water housed my other fermentation brew "perfectly" at the same time. two days ago when It came time to bottle the other brew I had to pull both tubes out for a few seconds. when I did this lots of gas could be heard coming out of the tubes. IDK which tube the gas came from. I stuck this brew blow off tube back into the water.
*The release of gas may have allowed oxygen to get back into the tank allowing the yeast cells to reactivate? This would explain the kraeusen...

2. I may have pushed the rubber stopper in more creating a better seal.
* Doesn't explain the kraeusen, but does explain the bubbling

3. Somehow, someway, the devil got inside my brew....
* Possibility however the kraeusen looks healthy...

My options:

1. Let it go for another 3 weeks regardless of instructions to start secondary fermentation. (I go on vacation for 2.5 weeks). Then Secondary Fermentation.
*I have read that this may create off flavors...

2. Secondary Fermentation now, hope for the best.

3. Ask other brewers for advice?

Dont move the beer off the yeast until fermentation is complete. Leaving the beer in primary for 6 weeks is not an issue. Just leave it be until it finished. So Option 1.

I have no idea what caused the initial problems. What temp is it at? If the temp fell intos the 50s F, and then warmed up 2 weeks later, it could cause those issues.

Go have a home brew and forget about it.

Depending on the hose length and hose width, you could be pushing a lot of water to get rid of the fermenter pressure. A gallon can be 8-9" drop and if full, that's 9" of water column to move, about .3 psi.

No, there was no air being drawn in but you may have allowed all the settled co2 to release and cause the yeast to come back to a working state again.

05 is hearty and can take a while to get going.

Depending on the hose length and hose width, you could be pushing a lot of water to get rid of the fermenter pressure. A gallon can be 8-9" drop and if full, that's 9" of water column to move, about .3 psi.

No, there was no air being drawn in but you may have allowed all the settled co2 to release and cause the yeast to come back to a working state again.
So pressure from the CO2 in a carboy may cause the fermentation to pause?

Latest posts

Back