stuck fermentaion, patience or more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divechief

Reaction score
I live in a small condo. I am a new home brewer working on my 9th batch My fermentation refrigerator was full but I had some equipment laying around so I started my third, one gallon batch of room temperature Saison. My Condo usually stays a fairly constant 75° Shortly after pitching my yeast my air conditioner failed and my condo bounced around between 70 and 85° (first time I've used WLP 566, my first two Saisons went well using WLP 565) I had airlock activity for just a few hours and very little kraeusen.

on June 6th my SG was 1.085. It seems to have stuck at 1.037. I have a 1/2 tube of WLP 001 on hand. I am considering pitching this and seeing what I end up with. would anyone recommend trying anything else? or just give it more time?

This is just a one gallon batch so if I end up dumping it, it won't break my heart.

Thanks
Dave

got it, patience. I'll check back in a week. in the mean time, should I sanitize a spoon and stir the trub, or just HAHB

Thanks

The best thing you can do is to ignore your beer for a week or so. That being said, I have been known to stare at a vigorous fermentation and sniff a air lock or two. Its hard not to do anything but time is the one ingredient your beer needs.

Haha, I like the idea of staring at it. But one thing you can actually do is rouse the yeast, i.e., rock the fermenter back and forth to stir up the yeast a bit, which may put some back into suspension if it has fallen out. You can and should do this with the airlock still on.

I'm reviving this thread. It's been another couple of weeks and I am STILL at 1.037. My 1/2 tube of WLP 001 is nearing it's use by date. I plan on pitching it in the next couple days unless anyone has anything else to try.

OK, last question, then I will get on with my life.

Remember that this is a one gallon batch, If I dump it it's not the end of the world.

I have a package of Safale 05 that I could use, but it seems a waste since I know I can make a good beer with it.

I have a 1/2 tube of 001 dated July 12. I saw the starter directions (thanks) but I don't want to take a trip to the LHBS (the weather is too nice, I want to play outside)

If I make a starter with DME, but no yeast nutrients am I OK, or should I bite the bullet and pitch the package of 05?

TIA Dave

I guess since it's a one-gallon batch you're probably fine with half the tube. But a small starter will help the liquid yeast wake up and get ready to go in a lower-stress environment. A DME-only starter will work for that. So I think I'd do that.

Make another full-blown 1-gallon batch with that extra yeast, let it ferment out, then put the stuck batch on the cake (or just dump the whole cake into the stuck batch). That way you unstick your stuck batch AND get an extra gallon of beer. It's just like making a big starter, only you don't waste anything.

And the yeast will be fine if you let it sit beyond its use-by date. Go play outside, brew when you have time.

Hydrometer or refractometer? If the latter, use the former, you may be surprised.

Also be sure both are calibrated:)

Hydrometer or refractometer? If the latter, use the former, you may be surprised.

Also be sure both are calibrated:)

WOW I know a refractors isn't accurate for the finished product but I thought it would put me in the ball park and let me see a change in SG. Since this is just a one gallon batch I didn't want to take repeated hydrometer readings and see my volume disappear, or risk infection by sanitizing and pouring the hydrometer back into the bucket.

I just took a hydrometer reading so I could say "told you so" I got 1.009. Guess I'm bottling.

Thanks
Dave

Back