stuck mash and decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
I purchased a bag of lager malt from my local microbrewery, however every time i do a mash it seems to stick. The surface of the grainbed seems to have a relatively large amount of that very grey scummy looking gum on the surface.

I was thinking of doing a decoction on my next lager, apart from the supposed improvements in flavour profile would doing a decoct with a protein rest alleviate my stuck mash problems (i've read that the gummy substance is composed largely of proteins)?

Try adding rice hulls to your grist. They will improve filtration in your grain bed and don't affect the beer at all. Add them at a rate of 10% of the total grain bill and you'll be golden.

delboy said:
I purchased a bag of lager malt from my local microbrewery, however every time i do a mash it seems to stick. The surface of the grainbed seems to have a relatively large amount of that very grey scummy looking gum on the surface.

I was thinking of doing a decoction on my next lager, apart from the supposed improvements in flavour profile would doing a decoct with a protein rest alleviate my stuck mash problems (i've read that the gummy substance is composed largely of proteins)?

Is your malt 2 row American or 6 row? Assuming it is 2 row, a 25min rest at 122f will help degrade the protein. Go 30-40min for 6 row. A decoction generally adds a more malty flavour and richness to the beer, although many seem to disagree, saying a proper step mash will work as well. I prefer a decoction, but only 1 step. You could try a decoction after the protein rest to bring the mash to Sacc. temp, then proceed as usual. For me, stirring the mash vigorously after you get 2-3 in. of sparge water over it, and letting it settle into a filter bed works wonders for a clean easy fly sparge. If you are doing a batch sparge, do likewise, but i have found a braid or Bazooka works better for a batch sparge than a false bottom in avoiding a stuck mash. The only time i use rice hulls is when i have a bunch of adjunts in the mash, but they don't hurt anthing either way, and may help.

Good luck......:)

Back