Super low gravity...normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski36t

Reaction score
I am currently working on my first attempt at a hard cider. I squeezed 5 bushels of mixed apples and got about 6 gallons of cider. I used 5 gallons and put that in my primary fermenter and added 5 campdens tablets. The next day I added champayne yeast. After about 10 days I checked the gravity and it was 1.002. The initial gravity was 1.076 (I added honey and brown sugar)

With the beers that I have done, this drop in gravity is way more than I expected. Is this normal for hard ciders?

Also, with beers you can taste a little before putting it in the secondary fermenter and it will give you some idea of how things are progressing. When I tasted my cider before racking, it wasn't good at all. Is this normal? Does it just take a while to taste good? I am pretty worried about a contamination problem.

Please help.

It's perfectly normal for ciders to drop to 1.000 (or lower with Champagne/wine Yeasts). Ciders often taste 'odd' or 'harsh' when newly brewed. It will improve with age!:)

Unlike ales, ciders have almost no unfermentable sugars. I typically get 0.995-0.997 for FG. And ciders do need aging, a couple months should do it.

Latest posts

Back