Techniques for bottle cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iron_city_ap

Reaction score
I'm in the process of drinking batch #1 and will be ready to bottle batch #2 just after Thanksgiving.

Just wondering what all should I do as far as cleaning the bottles out?

I have rinsed them out after finishing them off to get as much sediment as possible out, but obviously I will have to do more when I'm getting ready to reuse them.

Naturally I want to use the bottle brush to scrub them and sanitise them, and pet them, and call them george, just wondering what other techniques are out there.

I always rinse my bottles out after drinking. Before bottling day, I'll go through and give them all go good rinse one more time before putting them all in the dishwasher (minus other dishes). Only use water, no dishwasher soap and make sure that the dishwasher is set to a high heat setting and heated dry. You can leave the bottles in there until you're ready to bottle. It's nice doing it that way as well because the dishwasher acts like a bottle tree as well.

Do you rinse them with any sanitizer, or just water? I thought about the dishwasher route (esp. since mine has a sanitize function) but wasn't sure if I should use star san or something like that before the dishwasher, or after, or if it wasn't necessary, etc...

I rinse with a jet washer as soon as I can after pouring.
As bottling day approaches I dissolve a tablespoon of Oxiclean in bucketful of hot water.
Soak the bottles for a few minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
Check one more time for crud at the botton, if so soak longer or hit with bottle brush.
On brew day I use a Vinator and StarSan to sanitize.

I've never tried the dishwasher.

Do you rinse them with any sanitizer, or just water? I thought about the dishwasher route (esp. since mine has a sanitize function) but wasn't sure if I should use star san or something like that before the dishwasher, or after, or if it wasn't necessary, etc...

A spray or two in each bottle certainly wont hurt anything, but the dishwasher essentially achieves the same effect as the sanitizer so it isn't necessary.

After the diswasher is done I use...

avinator_106_general.jpg

with StarSan. I'll usually "spritz" about 6 and fill them using Revvy's bottling method. I'll cap them set them aside and do another 6.

Rinse, lather repeat...:mug:

I'm in the process of drinking batch #1 and will be ready to bottle batch #2 just after Thanksgiving.

Just wondering what all should I do as far as cleaning the bottles out?

I have rinsed them out after finishing them off to get as much sediment as possible out, but obviously I will have to do more when I'm getting ready to reuse them.

Naturally I want to use the bottle brush to scrub them and sanitise them, and pet them, and call them george, just wondering what other techniques are out there.

I just found a new process to add to my bottle cleaning: petting them and calling them George. Classic! :D

once I have the labels off I just wash out the yeast and put them back in the box upside down. Then when bottling day comes i just sanatize them with the vinator and fill. super easy and simple :D

once I have the labels off I just wash out the yeast and put them back in the box upside down. Then when bottling day comes i just sanatize them with the vinator and fill. super easy and simple :D

Not so classic. If you are inserting a bottle brush, it helps to call them Nancy, or Susan. Either way you should at least pretend you will call them the next day. ;)

Back