the first beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajaedition

Reaction score
Brewing Beer, a tongue in cheek history.
OK OK it could have happened

The first beer was brewed in Egypt. We accept that as fact, what we do not know is if that was a barley beer of a wheat beer. This will come into a real interesting point when we look into what makes a beer, but I digress. Anyway it is generally accepted that some grain was left out in a crock and got wet, and some yeast hit it, and bingo it started to bubble, a few days later someone walked outside and saw it, brought it in and drank it.
I find this part really interesting, I mean lets look at something. I wonder just how that conversation went. Hey Joeseph, look at this stuff, loots like crap, smells awful and our cousin Benzep drank some and now is babbling while swinging his head cranked over on his stool. Wanna join me in trying some?
I know that fresh water was a issue in that day and you had to be careful where you got your water. I know that people had little or no science so had fears and superstitions about everything. So the only explanation I can give you is not that they thought the gods had given it to them but that there was a bigger reason.
You see, Xzamtrp, the uncle to Joeseph, Benzap and Dridnod had just gotten back from a trip to middle Africa, and he had brought back a new herb that they were using for the first time in their supper. The herb they cooked with made them light headed and made them extremely hungry. Yep they had the first case of the munchies in Egypt. Well they were sitting around the table when they decided they could stand it no more. Without a decent Taco Bell in town, and not owning a chariot so they could use the drive through at the local Mutton Burger, (remember cows are sacred) they decided to look out back to see what was up. It had rained a few weeks back and their Aunt had left a crock ¼ full of grain out there. After bring in the crock and opening it they all just about tossed their cookies looking at the substance. They ate a few more bowls of the gruel with the spices and were getting desperate. Well they soon were all sitting around the table, staring at their glasses full of the nasty foamed up liquid from the crock. Every one had a nasty look on their face and were about to go to bed when cousin Bladander walked in having just got off of work with a bag full of shekels in pay. Well Benzap had left the crock lid by the door and Bladander tripped over it. His bag of money flies into the air and opens, a shekel hits the table, bounces and lands in Joeseph,s cup. Joeseph decides to guzzle the contents and retrieve the shekel to rent a chariot and go to the drive through.
His stomach grows warm and he gets light headed, refills his cup and decides he likes it. Needs some bitter but they can work on that. Well anyway everyone joins in.
And that is how we got the game of quarters.

Next week, the search for hops

Back