There are monsters in my basement.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gagunga

Reaction score
OMG IT'S ALIVE! 2nd batch ever. Belgian Whitbier from midwest. I ALMOST put an airlock on. After reading some threads on this forum, I decided to play it safe and throw in the big boob tube...16 hours after fermentation started, I see this. I think it would have shot an airlock through the ceiling. lol

Fermenting with Safale T-58. Woke em up about 5 minutes before pitching. Pitched in 75 degree wort. I added 3 oz of fresh orange zest (no pith) at 5 min from navels. I also grabbed a rolling pin and took my aggression out on the pouch of coriander seeds. Took a taste of it after taking OG reading and had some bitterness up front and a very strong citrus/orange flavor, just what I was looking for. Hopefully it keeps those flavors through the fermentation process.

Thanks for everyone's help on this forum. Just getting into this hobby and I think I'm addicted. Cheers!

20170909_033833.jpg

20170909_033848.jpg

20170909_033906.jpg

Congrats on the brew! It's a fun and addictive hobby.

You may want to keep your blow off bucket lower than your fermentor. It's possible that you could see some back flow with a temp drop which would suck literally and figuratively. Keep in mind your fermentation temps are higher than the ambient air temps. Your probably fine but I've had it happen once when I had a window open in the fall.

As someone who will do his first batch next week: why the hell is there such a big blow-off?

As someone who will do his first batch next week: why the hell is there such a big blow-off?

Looks like 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. You would usually do primary in a 6 gallon carboy or 7 gallon bucket. (even with larger FVs you'll get blowoff with large OGs or certain yeast strains.)

Looks like 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. You would usually do primary in a 6 gallon carboy or 7 gallon bucket. (even with larger FVs you'll get blowoff with large OGs or certain yeast strains.)

Ok that's what I thought... I was a bit worried! ;)

No picture, but the primary fermentation on the barleywine I dropped three packets of Nottingham in ~3 weeks ago was the first time I've seen the lid of a bucket fermenter dislodged by the fermentation. I don't remember why I thought putting an airlock on it was a good idea...

I noticed my brew bucket fermented fine with just the air lock. Probably had enough head space. But I need to get some 6 gallon carboys. My 5 gallon carboy spewed off at least a 1/4 gallon of wort. Boo. ..

Latest posts

Back