Thermostat Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
Morning everyone, sorry if this is question that is asked a lot, but my google searches didn't take me to any details. I have a Superior two tower Kegerator. Upon looking inside, it says True Manufacturing. I bought this unit for approximately $70 as I have probably bragged about in some past post. Well I've used the thing a few times and I think I need a new thermostat. Are there detailed instructions out there? I really do not have too much experience with these things but would like to prevent my electric bill from going crazy and my condenser from burning out! The unit really works well.... too well I guess :drunk:

I suppose I should give some details about what's going on. When I turn the sucker on, it's loud as heck. That is probably a whole different issue, but I can deal with the noise. The problem is that it is constantly cycling. Like every few minutes. The bar I purchased it from put a new-used compressor (I think), because it was freezing their beer lines. Why they changed that to prevent frozen beer lines is beyond me. Put at the lowest settings this bad boy goes sub 40, me thinks it needs a new thermostat. Where can I find details? Is it better to buy factory original replacement or get some kind of external thermostat? Pictures and advice are GREATLY APPRECIATED

Cheers and I hope everyone is taking time to celebrate Oktoberfest :mug:

not even a view :-( I've been scouring the internet for a while and not coming up with any general instructions, does anyone have a "installing a thermostat/controller for dummies"? The unit is a True TDD-3, do I have to rip the whole thing apart?

Yeah get an external thermostat like Daybis linked or a digital one like a Love controller. Assuming the problem is the thermostat and not the actual refrigeration side of things you should be good to go.

Can I mount any of these units inside? The unit gets plenty cold, I've got it on 1 or 2 out of 10 (I think) and it's just about at 40 degrees. Since it gets cold but is continuously running I'm thinking it's the thermostat. The bar that had it before me had problems with it freezing their beer lines. Thanks for the comments!

You could. It would be easier to put it outside though and just run the sensor inside.

Way overkill for what you need right now but here is something I put together for running a freezer for fermenting...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/another-tss2-controller-box-build-195713/

With your setup you could just get a single relay Love controller and mount it to the reefer itself. Kind of like this...
Picture_00116.jpg

The other bonus of replacing the thermostat is you jack the fridge up to max and it only ends up running occasionally to keep the temp where you want it.

Ok, I took the temperature at a setting of 1 from over night (I've got an industrial cooler thermometer in there) and it was 38 degrees. I also took some splits for the cycling. The cooler runs for around 2 minutes (LOUD), then the compressor stops and all is quiet for 3 minutes, 45 seconds. Definitely a little too much run time for the given down time... I've got to keep this thing running at least through Saturday night (It's full of beer I'm carbing for Oktoberfest). Hope I don't have a $200 electric bill!!!

ETA: That is definitely pretty damn clever TomSD. I'm going to try turning this sucker up a bit, maybe it'll cycle less. I'm concerned about beer slushies though (though I personally love them). Damn... I was going to say something else and in between sipping my coffee and going back to type I forgot! It's going to be one of those days....

ETA: That is definitely pretty damn clever TomSD. I'm going to try turning this sucker up a bit, maybe it'll cycle less. I'm concerned about beer slushies though (though I personally love them).

Thanks, I love how it is working out and I haven't even used it on my fermentor yet, lol.

As for beer slushies that is why you need a temp controller. Don't crank up the cooling until it is regulated or you are right it will start freezing stuff. With a thermostat you leave it maxed so the thermostat trips and cools it to where you want it rapidly then shuts it back off again until it is needed.

Back