Time for a PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOTER

Reaction score
I'm giving partial mash brewing a go and would like input and suggestions on the recipe I've chosen.

3 lbs. Muntons light DME
2 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lb. Simpsons roasted barley
1 lb. Simpsons dark crystal
1 lb. Flaked oats
1 oz. Fuggle pellets (60 min.)
Safale S-04

Just planning on mashing @ 155 for 60 min. and sparging @ 170 for 10 min. I'll probably use DeathBrewer's easy partial mash brewing as a guideline. I'm just going for a simple oatmeal stout here. My main reason for brewing this is not necessarily to make an award winning brew, but to orient myself to PM brewing. Any advice for a PM n00b?

If you're looking for an oatmeal stout, I'd agree with david. That much roasted barley will give a mouth smacking dry roast taste that will cover the oatmeal. I'm not saying that taste is bad at all (I actually tend to like it). But if you're aiming for an oatmeal, I'd back down the roasted barley to at least 1/2 pound.

Other than that, it sounds good. I'd probably lengthen the sparge. I've found 10 minutes - even in a PM isn't enough time to totally rinse the sugars out. I'd try maybe 15 or 20 minutes. But that's just me. Since you're looking to experiment - maybe try 10 minutes this time and 20 next to see how the time effects the brew with your setup. WElcome!!!

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stick with the full pound of roasted barley because the "mouth smacking dry roast taste" is very appealing to me, and the oats are more for the creamy mouthfeel. If there's no serious issues with this recipe, I think I'll go ahead with it. I feel I've mastered the art of extract brewing and am excited to transition to all grain via partial mash.

Back