Time to go fake being a brewer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priemus

Reaction score
Head of the Microbrewery where I worked just gave me a call, apparently his 4th Kid arrived last night so he cant goto the brewery tonight to give a guided tour and run down of the beer and beer making process with a tasting.

The people coming cant be contacted to cancel, so he calls me and says, "you do it, you know more about the process than anyone else, they wont even notice".

This should be funny. I dont even Speak norwegian.

haha.

Its after midnite so april fools threads are no longer allowed. If this is real then this thread is headed down the path of epicdom.

And I don't even speak norwegian could be the next I read on the internet that simcoe tastes like grapefruit. Ha

Its 12:41pm on the 2nd here, no april fools jokes.

Literally just got a call from him saying his kids popping out and he needs me to go pretend to be him at the brew pub for an hour.

....Im gonna go memorize some history of the place so I dont look like a total drop kick.

Edit for revvy:

I live in Norway, Im a (lazy) New Zealander that never learned to speak norwegian past compliments and insults ;)

Priemus said:
Its 12:41pm on the 2nd here, no april fools jokes.

Literally just got a call from him saying his kids popping out and he needs me to go pretend to be him at the brew pub for an hour.

....Im gonna go memorize some history of the place so I dont look like a total drop kick.

I'm on my droid so I can't see your geographic location so what's caught meaty and my eyes is the part about speaking norwegian. Splain us Lucy what your talking about.

The rest is coolness and you'll do fine.

I'm on my droid so I can't see your geographic location so what's caught meaty and my eyes is the part about speaking norwegian. Splain us Lucy what your talking about.

The rest is coolness and you'll do fine.

I'm on my laptop and he's in Bergen. I had to Google where it was.

"Jeg elsker beer." Do the rest in English, you're solid.

True, I asked how he normally structures it and he said history, brew process, tasting. I think Ill reverse that order. Get beers in hand asap.

Went fine btw.

Got into a argument with one of them after talking about the differences between top and bottom fermenting yeast, they stated as a matter of fact that she (hippy travelling doctor) had been to some place in Russia where they use brewers yeast to ferment horse milk...

I told her its impossible, it was probably lactobacilli not brewers yeast, she disagreed, but put the rest in dummy mode and they just accepted everything as fact.

Went fine btw.

Got into a argument with one of them after talking about the differences between top and bottom fermenting yeast, they stated as a matter of fact that she (hippy travelling doctor) had been to some place in Russia where they use brewers yeast to ferment horse milk...

I told her its impossible, it was probably lactobacilli not brewers yeast, she disagreed, but put the rest in dummy mode and they just accepted everything as fact.

If this is what you're referring to then you are correct, sir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumis

Kumis is made by fermenting raw unpasteurized mare's milk over the course of hours or days, often while stirring or churning. (The physical agitation has similarities to making butter). During the fermentation, Lactobacilli bacteria acidify the milk, and yeasts turn it into a carbonated and mildly alcoholic drink.

Ew.

I never heard of that until today, but I was 99.9% your couldnt ferment Milk so I just stood my ground.

I want to find her now and slap that in her face.

Was totally off topic as well, just trying to be a smartass.

¤hates know it all hippys¤

I'd never heard of it referred to as Kumis, though I have heard about fermented yak's milk or something they drink in Mongolia. I can't remember but sounded pretty awful.

I cant imagine that smelling or tasting much better than month of milk sitting outside of the fridge swelling up the box with noxious gases. I dont think im going to encourage the thread for this discussion. How close minded of me.

Sorry to tell you, but you may be wrong on this.
There are many fermented milk beverages in Russia, not only kumis.
At least 4 of them (kumis, kefir, prostokvasha and airag (Mongolian)) are said to be prepared with "bacteria and yeast".
I couldn't find any more information than that, on any of them, but there's a possibility that the yeast is either brewers or bakers yeast.

Yeah, but i think those ones also are grain and milk, and there is yeast present in the grain hull.

Can we at least agree that it sounds terrible?

Yeah, but i think those ones also are grain and milk, and there is yeast present in the grain hull.

Can we at least agree that it sounds terrible?

Maybe, but you can't blame her for not knowing the whole story behind the drink.

Yeah, we can agree on that. This is what I found about kumis:

Even most Kazakhs don't drink this very much any more, little wonder. It has to be the most awful alcoholic beverage on the face of the Earth.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/koomis-fermented-horse-milk-from-kazakhstan-160600#ixzz1IOZMFLTH

Let's say I'm not desperate to try it...:D

I'm not that desperitate for alcohol that I'd try fermented milk... However in a culture that has no beer or wine (or mead or tequila) fermented horse, yak or other milk makes sense. I could see that there would be both lacto and brewers bacteria in the milk, but given that lacto tends to take over unless brewers gets a head start - I've voting mostly a lacto yeast flavor (blech sour milk????)

and yes hot v crazy.. there is way to much crazy going around these days, it could explain birth rates.

A) Congrats on being a successful brewer stand-in.

B) While I'm not going to stand in line to try kumis, let's not forget, folks, that there is a LOT of fermentation accomplished with lactic acid producing bacteria, including yogurt, pickles, sauerkraut and most salami-style meats, all of which are pretty darn tasty.

Latest posts

Back