To Torpedo or Corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Murph

Homebrew Advocate
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a couple new 2 1/2 gal kegs. The Torpedo keg looks interesting but why? Who uses the torpedos and why?

Being able to stack them, even if just for storage, is one reason I'll be looking to get those when it's time. I currently have mostly 3 gallon corny kegs I bought years back. The 3 gallon kegs have the single stainless handle, so not really stacking. With the small cost delta between new 2.5 black handle kegs and the Torpedo kegs, it's more of a personal preference/choice IMO. Not having to deal with the black coating on the kegs, I'm sure, is a bigger deal than to others. I'd rather have things that are more stainless than rubberized.

Being able to stack them, even if just for storage, is one reason I'll be looking to get those when it's time. I currently have mostly 3 gallon corny kegs I bought years back. The 3 gallon kegs have the single stainless handle, so not really stacking. With the small cost delta between new 2.5 black handle kegs and the Torpedo kegs, it's more of a personal preference/choice IMO. Not having to deal with the black coating on the kegs, I'm sure, is a bigger deal than to others. I'd rather have things that are more stainless than rubberized.
I'm leaning strongly in that direction. I've had 2 1/2s like you mentioned and i too like the ability to stack them. I also like the smaller too. Looks like all my new kegs may be Torpedos.

You also get to pick two different diameter versions with the Torpedo kegs. Regular and slim. I've not, yet, decided which I'll end up with. Since they cost the same, other factors come into play.

I did get one of their 1.5 gallon kegs and have used it to take beer remotely. Especially a stout being served with nitro. Last gathering, though, I brought cans of beer. Just means I didn't need to bring as much gear over for people. At some point I'll get the hardware so that I can add nitro to cans of beer (that's some time from now). Even when canned with just CO2, my stouts are getting very good reviews/remarks.

You also get to pick two different diameter versions with the Torpedo kegs. Regular and slim. I've not, yet, decided which I'll end up with. Since they cost the same, other factors come into play.

I did get one of their 1.5 gallon kegs and have used it to take beer remotely. Especially a stout being served with nitro. Last gathering, though, I brought cans of beer. Just means I didn't need to bring as much gear over for people. At some point I'll get the hardware so that I can add nitro to cans of beer (that's some time from now). Even when canned with just CO2, my stouts are getting very good reviews/remarks.
Yeah I just ordered a 1 1/2 and a 2 1/2. I went for the regular 9 in wide as I need the shorter version in my RV. The slim is only less than an inch width smaller and a little taller. I can't wait to fill them up and take them on the road instead of fivers. I take sixtel sankes all the time but they require more refrigeration space. I think they are gonna work out great.

Back