Transporting recently filled keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachattack

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be kegging a batch in a few weeks at location A, but my kegerator (and CO2 equipment) are at location B. I have a 2 hour car ride in between the two locations. I know I'm probably overthinking this, but I'm a little worried about oxidation from the keg splashing around during the car ride since I can't purge out the keg at location A. At location B the keg will be slowly carbed over 2 weeks then consumed in a couple days.

I see a couple options:

1) RDWHAHB, fill up the sanitized keg as normal, drive to location B, put it on gas, purge/chill/etc.

2) Fill the corney all the way to the top (I usually end up with a bit over 5 gallons at the end of the day) to eliminate any headspace, throw it in the car, at location B scoop/siphon some of the beer out and proceed as normal

3) Try something a little crazy: put the ~70 degree beer in the keg as usual, then try to get cute by putting the corney in a hot water bath for a few minutes to get some CO2 out of solution and generate a bit of pressure, then purge it to get some of the air out.

4) Something else I'm not thinking of?

Am I overthinking this? Maybe the little bit of oxidation won't be noticeable anyway since the beer will be gone 16 days later.

Thanks!

There's not much chance of any noticeable oxidation, but if it will make you feel better, fill the empty sanitized keg with CO2 at your place, keep it sealed and pressurized until fill time, gently release pressure, fill, and recap. The head space will then be CO2 not oxygen, since the CO2 is heavier.

Fill the keg as normal, purge the headspace of oxygen (several CO2 hits, venting between) and then drive as carefully as you can to where it will stay. I do this every time I keg a batch. The properly purged keg will be fine, and you won't get oxidation from the transport. Same thing is done with commercial kegs all the time. :rockin:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like I just shouldn't worry about it... :mug:

Back