Trim Temp/Humidity Probe Leads?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indie

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm finally building my curing chamber after having the parts sit around for the better part of two years (STC-1000 and a WH8040).

Thinking out loud:

To make the build a little tidier I'd like to trim off some of the excess wire on the probes, though I can't find a good answer on if the units require the resistance in the length of wire.

If the resistance of the wire isn't as big a concern, I'm pondering wiring the temp and humidity probes to some Cat6 I have laying around to get them both into the chamber over a single cable.

Thoughts?

The STC uses a thermistor, which measures temperature based on resistance. A change in wire length will change the calibrated accuracy of the unit, but based on the lengths, will be fractions of a degree, which is within the accuracy of a thermistor anyhow.

Yeah, I just looked it up, and a typical resistance of a thermistor at room temp is about 10K ohms. The wire is effectively 0 ohms. So trimming the length of the wire should have no discernable effect.

Back