Turbo Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongrell

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a beer for someone that will be done by July 27th. (At least bottled by then) is it possible to make a lager that fast or should I make an ale to be safe.

Possible turbo schedule for lager:

BREW
6/20 PRIMARY
6/30 SECONDARY
7/10 COLD CONDITIONING / LAGERING
7/26 BOTTLE

Is that moving too fast?

I would say yes. Lagers take longer to ferment out, and the clearing stage takes time. I would add a couple of days to the first and third stages.

I think it depends on the yeast, you should look at the manufactures websites for info on the different strains of yeast your considering to find out what kind of schedule they take. you might consider a kolsch type beer I made one that took about three weeks from primary to bottle, of course it still needs time to carb. but the flavor was as clean and crisp as a lager. to be safe I would recommend brewing two or more beers, ale and lager that way at least one will be ready and you can always use more beer cant you?

Why lager? I have found that my lagers need 4-6 weeks after fermentation has finished to really round out and taste great.

There are some ale yeasts that can ferment very low and give very lager-like characteristics. Fermenting an ale yeast cooler would fit your schedule much better.

There are some ale yeasts that can ferment very low and give very lager-like characteristics. Fermenting an ale yeast cooler would fit your schedule much better.

Have any suggestions. General recipie below.

6lbs 2row malt
1lb 10L crystal
1.5lb honey
1oz saaz hops
1oz lavendar total

I want this to be done by July 27th, just a clean crisp simple lager or blonde I suppose if we're going ale. It's for my mom's b-day. It just needs to be bottled by the 27th. But the earlier the better.

Back