Turkey Fryer Usability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanfromOK

Reaction score
Hi all,

Noob brewer gathering equipment before I brew my 1st beer and wondered if this turkey fryer that might be on permanent loan from my In-Laws is ok to use in its condition.

I plan on getting my feet wet with extract kits + steeping specialty grains. BIAB after I get a feel for it all maybe.

Also, could someone check my math on the volume? ~16" diameter by ~17" deep. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• received_2395466617431637.jpeg
    received_2395466617431637.jpeg
    671.9 KB · Views: 60
  • received_2774711629254315.jpeg
    received_2774711629254315.jpeg
    1,014.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200107_053612.jpg
    20200107_053612.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 62
The first picture shows the inside? I would use some Bar Keepers Friend to remove the rust. The second picture looks like there is a layer of burnt crud on the bottom. If that is the outside I would not worry too much, if the inside you may need a serious cleaning.

After a thorough cleaning fill the pot and boil for 20 minutes to passivate the pot and keep metallic flavors out of your brew.

Math makes my head hurt!!! Too early in the day to check that...

Yes. Inside on both pictures. Just sat the flashlight down and got closer on the 2nd pic to better show the pitting.
And yes. I believe I'm in for an elbow and shoulder work out with this thing, but I'm a cheap@$$ and don't mind cleaning for the free equipment. Got the burner that came with it cleaned and blown out this last weekend. Was blowing a crappy orange flame all over the side of the pot while pasteurizing some cider a few weekends ago. 20min. of scrubbing the soot off before going to the In-Laws for Christmas.

What is passivating the pot? Any recommendations on what NOT to scrub it out with? Steel wool a good or bad idea?

Passivating is creating an oxide layer on the surface of the metal it helps keep metallic flavors that you might get in an untreated pot.

Steel wool would be OK if there is a lot of crud to get off, then a thorough rinsing and passivation.

I wouldn't be too worried about the pitting. The heat will kill any microbes that could hide in the crevices. But I would still get it cleaned up as much as possible, within reason.

A lot of time department store turkey fryer pots are aluminum. Is this pot heavy? My guess is the stains are polymerized oil - and they will be extraordinarily hard to remove....but not sure you should care. I'd boil water in it and dispose of it before use, which may get rid of any lingering oils and cleaners anyone used, rinse well, then brew with it.

If it is actually stainless steel, then I think it's still polymerized oil, not rust, but the advice is pretty solid. If Stainless then get some barkeeepers friend (it's cheap) and scrub the heck out of the inside. Cleaner than before and passivated enough for this job :)

Well, good news. I now know that its a 60qt (15gal) pot. Should of listened to my wife and just looked at the bottom.

I believe it is SS. Probably weighs 30 lbs. and has a nice ring to it when tapped. Not a dull clang like an aluminum skillet makes.

I used an almost new pad of medium fine steel wool on it when dry. Scrubbed it around with a leather glove 'til the pad was about the size of a peach pit. From the amount of force, & duration that I scrubbed it for, it would of got major scratches gouged in the surface if it was aluminum.

Not as clean as I'd like yet, but not bad for a 30 min. scrub & rinse. Will probably pick up some Beekeepers Friend and see if I can get more of the stains out before passivating.

Thanks for the help.
Pretty happy to know its not a 7gal pot. Just guessing at it before, it looked like a 10gal at most.

Attachments

• 20200107_192722.jpg
    20200107_192722.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200107_192350.jpg
    20200107_192350.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 20200107_192330.jpg
    20200107_192330.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20200107_192339.jpg
    20200107_192339.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
Well, good news. I now know that its a 60qt (15gal) pot. Should of listened to my wife and just looked at the bottom.

I believe it is SS. Probably weighs 30 lbs. and has a nice ring to it when tapped. Not a dull clang like an aluminum skillet makes.

I used an almost new pad of medium fine steel wool on it when dry. Scrubbed it around with a leather glove 'til the pad was about the size of a peach pit. From the amount of force, & duration that I scrubbed it for, it would of got major scratches gouged in the surface if it was aluminum.

Not as clean as I'd like yet, but not bad for a 30 min. scrub & rinse. Will probably pick up some Beekeepers Friend and see if I can get more of the stains out before passivating.

Thanks for the help.
Pretty happy to know its not a 7gal pot. Just guessing at it before, it looked like a 10gal at most.

Eagleware is almost certainly aluminum - heavy duty aluminum cookware is what they're known for. Not sure they make any stainless. Nice pot!!

I doubt that pot was sold with the burner as a turkey fryer. Turkey fryer pots are usually taller and smaller diameter to be able to submerge a turkey with headspace for when you first put the turkey in without using ton of oil (like wider shorter pots would need). A fryer pot generally has a stamped max fill line for the oil as well (overfill and you may have a fire when turkey goes in).

Last edited:
I stand corrected. Good to know.
Definitely a heavy duty pot. I didn't even think about the practically of it being used as a frying pot. That would be a ton of oil.
Hadn't had a chance to research the brand. I had wondered why there wasn't any kind of graduated markings inside or out.
As I don't know much yet, how common is it to use an aluminum pot rather than SS to mash & boil? Any difference in procedure?

I stand corrected. Good to know.
Definitely a heavy duty pot. I didn't even think about the practically of it being used as a frying pot. That would be a ton of oil.
Hadn't had a chance to research the brand. I had wondered why there wasn't any kind of graduated markings inside or out.
As I don't know much yet, how common is it to use an aluminum pot rather than SS to mash & boil? Any difference in procedure?
My favorite article on this (and Dr. Brad Smith aka the owner of BeerSmith is pretty well respected in our field) http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/08/17/aluminum-vs-stainless-best-beer-brewing-pots/

Awesome
Some good information there. I'll cross that piece of equipment to buy off the list.
Thanks for the info. Brewing off to a good frugal start then.

The only differences are that it is more important to passivate the aluminum, and it will transfer heat from inside to outside and visa-versa more easily than SS. But that really doesn't come into play when brewing.

Back