Turning a kettle electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramloese

Reaction score
Hi friends,

Longtime reader, first time poster.

I'm looking to turn 2x 200 liter (55 gallon) pots into an electric kettles. One for using as HLT and another for boiling.

I was planning to use something like this to do it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01792H2C0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is 1 heating element per pot too little at 1650W. If I go higher watt is it better? Do I need to go 2x heating element per pot?

2. What would I need to control and make these heating elements safe? I assume I need something to turn the heating element on and off depending on temperature. And maybe also something for safety like a surge protector or something?

3. Are these usable in Europe as well with simple outlet adapters?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: So the Electric Brewery dotcom recommends 2x 5500W heating elements for 30+ gallons. So I guess question 1 is answered.

I have a 25 gallon kettle with a single 5500W ripple element, and that works OK when boiling for a 15.5 gallon batch ....you're definitely going to need about 10KW for a 200L kettle

I have a 25 gallon kettle with a single 5500W ripple element, and that works OK when boiling for a 15.5 gallon batch ....you're definitely going to need about 10KW for a 200L kettle

Thanks Steve. Let me ask you, how do you control your heating element? Do you have it plugged directly into power? Or, do you use a controller?

You cant just hook it up without a controller. The boil is to violent. The controller is like the dial on a stove. You can dial it down for a nice rolling boil

You cant just hook it up without a controller. The boil is to violent. The controller is like the dial on a stove. You can dial it down for a nice rolling boil

Do you have any advice for a controller?

The electric brewery.com panel is great. I have one controlling my 25 gallon system using 5500watt elements

Keep in mind that any system you will need to be on 240 volts for that volume

I'm not sure in understanding what your trying to do. If you're trying to boil more than say maybe 20 gal your gonna need 2 big elements. If that's the case your looking at big draw in the 50amp range. It's not gonna be cheap no matter what way you do it

The questions you're asking indicate that you're not ready to build something like this. You need to do a ton more research before attempting. 55 gallon kettles are huge, how many brews have you done before?

I agree with Bishop, spend a month researching this. Like Blazinlow86 stated, start with reading the guide at www.theelectricbrewery.com, but know there are "newer" ways to execute a design. The design on this website is like a pioneer. The suggestions you made, do not align with your needs you notes, so I am concerned you do not have a lot of electrical experience. So I recommend buying a complete setup. One option is at www.ebrewsupply.com. But I am also concerned on your infrastructure at your house or location you plan to brew. you will need 50 to 60 AMP service to your location that has a GFCI protected circuit. I would recommend talking with an electrician to confirm your infrastructure. In the end, we want you to have a great system, but also we want to look out for your safety and well-being.

Thanks Steve. Let me ask you, how do you control your heating element? Do you have it plugged directly into power? Or, do you use a controller?

IMO, it's hard to beat the Auber Ez-Boil PID, Works like a PID, or works like a PWM controller, and you'd have to double check with Auber, but I suspect you could run 2 SSRs (1 per element) off just one Ez Boil controller

As others had posted previously, 55 gallons kettle needs a dual 5500W heater elements. I have 25 gallons pot with a single heater element, it would take close to an hour to bring the cold tap water up to 160F for mashing. Dual 5500W elements would require at least 50 or 60 AMP circuit from the service distribution panel (6 gauges wiring). I would recommend getting the Auber Instrument temperature controller and SSRs for the controller box. It's not difficult to build.

Good lucks.

Back