Undried Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBhomebrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@bracconiere

I've been reading Lars Garshol's book Historical Brewing Techniques. Getting through the chapter on malt was of course making me think of this forum's resident maltster. Last page of the chapter recounts the author's experience brewing with a chap in Russia who makes his own malt. Each batch of beer starts with a batch of fresh malt. No drying. Wet malted rye goes through a meat grinder straight into the mash.

Thought you may want to give that a try, drying being a multi-day step and all.

i wish i could but i don't have a source for cheap rye berries. before i knew how to dry and kiln barley, i tried it with barley. wasn't any good.

and wet rye, grain without a husk on it. would deffinatly only be used as an adjunct...i'd think? mashed through a meat grinder?

edit: i do aprreciate the idea though! now i'm thinking of malting a 5lb bag of rye from the health food store, running it in the food proccesor to see what it adds to a batch...

edit #2: (P.S. the rootlets would be hard to remove wet also)

Back