Upstate NY beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammer

Reaction score
So I have to go to upstate NY next week for work. Lake Seneca/dresden area to be specific. Any one have any beer suggestions that i should try? I come from New England, so I've had most NE brews. Any NY brews i shold try? or anything from farther away that isnt normally available in New England?

thanks,

Ithica Brewery is out that way, I've been to thier brewery but don't remember how big a distrobution they have. Ommegang is out in the same area as is Cooperstown Brewery which has good beers.

Ommegang has become one of my new favorite breweries recently. Too bad that a bottle cost 9 bucks around here. Any one know if they have released their ommegeddon yet?

Any wineries around that i should hit up? I know its a big wine region

the closest brewery will be wagner valley in ovid on the east side of senaca lake very good beer. the only bar that I know of that is any good near seneca lake is the rongovian embasy, but I havent been there in years.
I also love ommegang try the hennapin & ommagang.
I think there is a brewery in watkins glen called rooster fish I live in canandaigua so that is a bit of a hike.
Saranac has a realy good summer mixed 12 pack.

I have been apprenticing at custom brew crafters in honeoy falls, they make about 60 beers with a pretty large distribution area so look for that on tap at the local bars or in growlers at wegmans, I recomend the EPA or the canandaigua lake ale.
If you make it to canandaigua try macgregors good food and alot of beers on tap.
The Ithaca brewing company makes some realy good beers also. Try the caskazilla or the partly sunny(WIT). Ithaca will be a bit of a drive for you but probably your best bet for any kind of a selection the fingerlakes beverage center I think its called.
If you can find it buffalo brewing company has an aviator red that is realy good.
I would have to say my favorite ny beer would have to be lake placid brewing companies UBU (strong ale)
If you are in to mead there are a couple of meaderies around,
Earl estates on the west side of seneca lake and one in montazooma
Also the fingerlakes area is the 2nd largest wine region in the country so there are alot of wineries I like hazlit try the red cat. bully hill makes some good wine and the tasting comes with a show.

primary: ESB 10 gallon
secondary:
keg: IRA, Stuck sparge rye ale
Bottled: IRA, 80/-, Brown Stout I & II, New old ale

Wagner is actually in Lodi, NY and they tend to make typically malty brews if that is your style. You'll be real close to Ithaca as a couple of people have mentioned, and that is pretty good no matter what you prefer. Flying Bison is the Buffalo brewery as mentioned which is also fantastic and can be found at most grocery stores I believe. Wagner is in fact a winery that just happens to make beer too. There are a ton down there, but I'm not a big wine drinkier but ask around while you're there and I'm sure someone can recommend some winners. Cheers!

Dr Frank Konstantin's Winery is around there, I believe by Keuka Lake. Really...really...good riesling.

And Ithaca Brewing Company is on Cayuga Lake somewhere, which is probably 2 hours east of Dresden (I think). It's fun there. The time I went I wasn't into homebrewing yet but it was cool to see nonetheless. Friendly people.

Also, try picking up some Ellicottville Brewing Co. beer if your around there, which is a small brewery south of Buffalo.

Hope that helped.

If you head into Syracuse, there is Middle Ages Brewing Company, which is pretty good, some of their styles are a little hoppy but still pretty good. Their Grail Ale is really good! You should be able to find some of their beer around the upstate area in grocery stores.

Another beer that you can find around the area in stores would be Sackets Harbor Brewing. Check out the 1812 Ale (its a copper color pale ale - not tooo hoppy though), it is one of my favorite brews! They also make a pale ale I hear is good. Wagner at seneca lake also makes the Landmark Brewing Company beers. Landmark beers are not that good. Wagner brews didn't impress me either, honestly.

Lake Placid Brewing is a bit north of the Upstate region, but their Ubu Ale is really good if you like a nice strong brown ale. Grocery stores carry it as well. I've already seen Ommengang posted on here. There is also Cooperstown brewing company. If you head to Buffalo, which 2 - 2.5 hrs away, there is Pear Street Brewery - A must try!!!, and Ellicottville Brewing. Rochester is ~ 1 hr away and they have High Falls Brewing (Genesee Brand and J.W. Dundee) and Rohrbach.

Hope this helps!

I have been apprenticing at custom brew crafters in honeoy falls

great beers!! i've been trying to organize some friends to take a tour but they're lazy bums. not to threadjack, but would you mind helping a noob with a double dark cream porter clone???

Back