US Grainfather G30 now in 220v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broox

Reaction score
Due to the long boil times, I've been holding out on getting the US version of the Grainfather until they released a 220v version... and it looks like they finally did it!

Anyone thinking of getting this? or have it yet?

I do wish they had a single unit that could either be wired for 120v or 220v like so many shop tools, but either way, 220 is still a big upgrade. I'm seriously debating pulling the trigger. I have an RV plug in my garage that I'd have to adapt from... but that shouldn't be a huge deal.

I had the US 110v version and am living overseas for awhile and because of covid have become very bored. So I just purchased the 220v version. Still setting up and getting things ready but from every thing I have read it should work much faster than the 110v unit. So looking forward to brewing in Europe and then bringing it back to the US. Only downsize i have thought about is that it will not be so portable anymore and we time wil tell how that plays out. I also only used the Grainfather to get out of the high heat of Texas summers in the US. I would brew on my 3 tier system in the nice weather outdoors.

On the email I received about it, it looks like it's only 2000 Watts. That seems very underpowered for 220v, and not worth the upgrade. The Digiboil, Foundry, etc, are all in the 3500W range.

If I already had access to 220v, I'd buy a different device with more power. If I didn't have access to 220v, I wouldn't pay the price to add an outlet just to go from 1500->2000W.

Hmm, that's a good point regarding the small wattage bump. The all-in-one unit is the main selling point for me, fast heating times is a second priority, but still a priority.

Replacing my giant stainless steel cart of burners, pots, pumps, mashtun, immersion chillers, etc with a single container that I can throw on a shelf is super appealing... provided that the boil isn't incredibly slow.

Are there alternatives with more wattage that are as full-featured as the grainfather?

Last edited:
Back