Use starters, or make new ones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I planned to brew a 10 gallon light lager last weekend, so made a couple of starters with Wyeast Pilsen.

Well, stuff happened (birthday party, inlaws stayed until Monday, the house flooded, hangover) and I did not get to brew.

So, the brew is delayed until this coming Saturday. The starters have pretty much finished, so I'm going to stick them in the fridge. The question is: should I just warm them up and pitch, or decant them and add more wort to make new starters?

I think I'm probably good either way, but what would be best?

:confused:

I feel yeast is pretty durable. O n the one hand, I would use it. I'm adventurous.

The total cost of yeast is comparatively cheap Vs grain and hops though. ...just sayin'.

I don't know how long your starters have been going but most starters are ready in 48 hours. Anything beyond that and the yeast is using up resources and getting older. If it hasn't been too much more than 48 hours before you got those guys cooled down, then they should be good to go.

The first thing yeast does when they see your starter wort is to reproduce. This is the aerobic phase. After that, they start munching on the wort and making beer. This is the anaerobic phase and usually begins with krausen. Since the purpose of a starter is to increase the number of yeast cells, the aerobic phase is the only portion you are concerned with and why you want to pitch or refrigerate the starter at about the 48 hour mark.

I went ahead and decanted the starters and added more fresh wort. They are foaming nicely this morning.

:mug:

I've used starters and yeast cake up to a month with no problems. Yeast are good at going dormant and conserving their reserves. I can easily start another starter from cake stored for four months.

Nothing wrong with playing it safe though, and I do kind of like pitching at high krausen. I've had my fastest starts with this method.

Latest posts

Back