Using Blue 5 Gallon Water Jugs for Starsan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've read they are bad to use as fermenters. I have two, but never used them for fermenters because of the whole leaching issue with them I've read here.

However, I do use one of the two I have for storing my star-san. From what I've read here, using them as fermenters is bad because of the beer's acidity being able to leach chemicals from the jug into the beer making it taste bad.

Since Starsan is more acidic than beer, is using these for Starsan just as bad or worse for using them for fermenters?

No risk of drinking the starsan so you're good man.

I've used those blue carboys for Appfelwein in a pinch and it tastes friggin great. Been in there almost a year. My 0.02.

One of the members in my club has said the same thing as you guys. I thought I would ask as my last few batches have had FGs below 1.008. I used that batch of Starsan for that brewday as well. Since then, I made a fresh batch of Starsan that I'll try to use later today. It might not make a difference as has been suggested here, but at least I'll know I've eliminated that variable.

Thanks guys.

As long as the jug has the food safe number 2 in the arrow triangle, it's fine to use as a fermenter or storage.

Isn't there a limited duration that star san remains OK to use after mixing it up? Does longer term storage of it decrease effectiveness?

I keep mine for around 3-4 months before dumping and making a fresh batch. I used to test with ph strips but stopped doing that a long time ago.

Back