Using frozen summer squash slices as an airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacksmith1

Captain Cheap
Reaction score
How's that for "clickbait"?
seriously tho'. I started a gallon batch using a..."guide" posted By @bernardsmith utilizing some sliced frozen summer squash (it was too mushy when we cooked it, had to do something with it)
now it's making a cap in the fermenter that traps almost all the CO2. I'm punching it down once or twice an hr to make sure it doesn't reach the top of the pot (using a stockpot for open ferment primary) which honestly doesn't seem likely. how long can I let it sit with the CO2 trapped on it like that before it starts to hurt something? the yeast, the must, the finished product. Someone on here said that CO2 creates acid and I've read several times too much acid is bad for the yeast. this stuff is vigorously fermenting, I get a lot of CO2 every time I stir it.

So basically, should I leave it alone, disturb it less, or keep doing what I'm doing? It did make it overnight without climbing very high, so it is releasing gasses. And it's covered so it's staying clean.

How's that for "clickbait"?
I love it :D

CO2 gas over the wine doesn't hurt anything. It's the dissolved CO2 that is problematic. CO2 in solution forms carbonic acid.
Degassing is the process for removing it. However, there seem to be mixed opinions whether it's necessary.

Punching down the ...vegetable... cap helps prevent mold growth.

Cheers

Cool, thanks. I'll keep doing what I'm doing then. keep it wet, and stir it each time.
And if this works out, I can tell my doctor I'm getting several servings of veggies a day.:yes:

Just cracked open a bottle of that zucchini wine the other night and it is quite delicious. Hope your wine is as pleasurable.

Just cracked open a bottle of that zucchini wine the other night and it is quite delicious. Hope your wine is as pleasurable.
Smells good to.me, also smells highly flammable. Fermentation has slowed noticeably so I strained it this morning. I seem to have gotten a bit of extra liquid from the veg mix. Wound up with a gallon and a little over a quart. Made a custom one quart carboy for it.
IMG_20190206_105920.jpg IMG_20190206_105924.jpg IMG_20190206_113136.jpg

Last edited:
Only from store bought. Not set up to make beer.

You know fruits and veggies only cover vitamins A, C & K...you need grains for the B vitamins, and minerals....How do you expect to stay healthy? :D

(and yes, i'm out of my element...so will be departing the winemaking forum...It just pop up on recent with your click bait title!)

This turned out to be horrid. It tasted ok, but no one could get past the smell. I went ahead and dumped it. I belive it was all the particulate squash that wound up in suspension from freezing it and stirring it, that caused this problem. Next time I will use fresh only and see what I get. Maybe one zuccini, one summer squash and one blend. In that order in case the squash itself was the problem....

Back