Valves on a CO2 manifold - necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok,

I have a leak somewhere in my CO2 system...here is my system.
  • CO2 cylinder to regulator
  • Regulator to "Y"
  • "Y" to keg force carbing line and keggerator pressure line - both valved
  • Keggerator pressure line to 4 regulator manifold
  • Each regulator goes to a seperate keg and each has a valve after the regulator
Now, when I realized I had a leak, I pressurized the system and then shut ALL valves in the system. Several hours later I checked the gauges. All of the manifold gauges were flat, so I repressurized and sprayed with soapy water. Nothing...no bubbles being produced and I checked all the connections. I repressurized and closed only the valves from the manifold, leaving the system pressurized. Several hours later, pressure was holding, but when I opened open of the valves, the associated gauge dropped. So it looks like I have a leaky keg AND a valve that permits pressure past it.

Is there any reason to keep valves on my manifold? With the ball lock fittings at the end of the gas line, I don't have to worry about shutting off the gas. I am thinking of just getting rid of these 4 valves so that there is fewer places for a leak.

I have isolation valves on my manifold, because I've lost too many tanks of CO2 to kegs that I thought were ok, but weren't. Case in point, I have a brown on tap where the keg passed all of my testing before going online, but it won't hold pressure now. So, I leave it isolated and hit it when I want a pint. A pain, but easier than connecting & disconnecting the line.

Latest posts

Back