Very little carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga1ba2

Reaction score
Been out of the hobby for 15 years. I started up again on July 6th. a NB Irish Red Ale. It has been in the bottles for 20 days. I sampled today, it is very clear and tastes great but not much carbonation- no head at all. I primed the 5 gallons with 3/4 cup corn sugar. The temperature has been 70 degrees. Will it get better? any way to fix it?

Yeah, that happened to me too! I've had a beer in bottles for 4 weeks now... hardly any carbonation. I did the same procedure as usual, same amount of corn sugar at ~70F. All my other beers carbed by about 2-3 weeks.. nothing on this one...

Sheesh, my past few batches carbonated in about 2-3 days max... using 1c. honey per 5 gallons at about 70 deg. Granted I was using a Windsor Yeast that is pretty poor at flocculating, so I think I had plenty of suspended yeast in there to get it going.
Currently I have a batch with Nottingham, HIGHLY flocculant and it is carbonating pretty slowly, I am bummed, I am thirsty. I may go to using corn sugar, anyone notince any big differences between the sugar and honey? As far as residual flavor?

:mug: It has been almost 4 weeks and carbonation is about the same. The beer is very good tasting and clear but no head but it is definitely not flat just can't see any bubbles rising. Just bottled my second batch Sunday a NB Nukey Brown Ale I used a good 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons of corn sugar before I just used 3/4 cup sugar. Hope I get more fizz with this second batch. :drunk: thanks for your replies.

If the beer is any good warm, let it warm up and give it a strong pour. That should whip up what we are all looking for...head!

Latest posts

Back