Vitamins in wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamonkey84

Reaction score
I’ve heard the only healthy thing in red wines is the tannins, but what about other fruits? How much, if any, of the vitamins and minerals present in the fruit/juice remains after it’s been fermented and cleared? Black currant has loads of vitamin C, but will any of it make it into the wine I make from it?

I’ve heard the only healthy thing in red wines is the tannins, but what about other fruits? How much, if any, of the vitamins and minerals present in the fruit/juice remains after it’s been fermented and cleared? Black currant has loads of vitamin C, but will any of it make it into the wine I make from it?

Probably not, just trace nutrients. But you will likely keep the anthocyanins.

I’ve read something similar, but everything had to do with fermenting other foods. not necessarily Fermented by yeast either, as it’s part of the whole probiotic craze going on. Wasn’t sure if the healthy parts of the juice are lost to the building and clearing of the yeast.

I don't know about vitamins but I do get an uplifting feeling opening up a home brew Sav Blanc and knowing it cost me 6 bucks instead of 16.

From what I remember that Vit C is killed on contact from alcohol. As well as L- Glutithione is not produced when consuming alcohol, hence folks with liver problems should not have any alcohol. OR at least they should supplement themselves. Prob not a bad idea for the lot of us.... The only vitamin is "A" Alcohol!

oh god, so my sig other went to Naturopathic medical school. It was one of those "over the dinner convo's" That or it was a Dr friend, chatting with. I wish I could cite it but care not to Google and dig for a reliable source. Heck if it does not make sense, take your vitamins with beer...

I'm a doctor. Can I must make up facts? ;)

Here's an article that shows plenty of ascorbic acid does in fact make it into the finished wine.

Attachments

• HPLC_determination_of_organic_acids_suga.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 46
I'm a doctor. Can I must make up facts? ;)

Here's an article that shows plenty of ascorbic acid does in fact make it into the finished wine.

Good read, thanks Dr.
I am not the type to stop someone in their tracks when they make a statement like; " No point in taking your vitamins since you've already began drinking. Most vitamins become inert or not worth taking or a waste of money from the booze..." Hence me stating that Vit C is really void upon contact. Prob why you asked for a cite, it contradicted your resource.
Quote-"The results indicated that total antioxidant activity and phenolic contents of orange juice were higher than orange wine."
Yet we add Acid to our wine to adjust the PH, be it still any anti oxidant? I do not think it is worth thinking it is a source of Vit C as a regimen. Then there are Tinctures...Which I make with 80 proof or Shine.

Black currant has loads of vitamin C, but will any of it make it into the wine I make from it?

Vitamin C titration is easy with starch and iodine tincture.....can nail it to mg's......

edit: just the first google link, didn't read it but it's common knowledge....kids in junior high do it all the time for science fair projects.... https://www.thoughtco.com/vitamin-c-determination-by-iodine-titration-606322

edit 2: i've done it with all kinds of plants around the yard with 1% titratable iodophor, every plant is loaded with vit c.....alive anyway....

Last edited:
I am not a doctor nor an historian but didn't folk in the past use alcoholic beverages laden with Vitamin C (though they did not know what that was) to treat and prevent scurvy? I am thinking of spruce drinks

I am not a doctor nor an historian but didn't folk in the past use alcoholic beverages laden with Vitamin C (though they did not know what that was) to treat and prevent scurvy? I am thinking of spruce drinks

i know from doing a titration on my pine tree's needles, that pine needle tea is loaded with vitamin c.....

and yes, before people knew what scurvy was, pine needle tea was a miracle cure all...don't think they fermented it though...(but honestly i've found that even a tea made from fresh mesquite twigs has a lot of vitamin c)

I’ve read something similar, but everything had to do with fermenting other foods. not necessarily Fermented by yeast either, as it’s part of the whole probiotic craze going on. Wasn’t sure if the healthy parts of the juice are lost to the building and clearing of the yeast.

Don't forget that it can be part of stress relief routine and socializing, mental health is important too.

Just found the info below from the New York Times archive. It may be that plenty of nutrients and vitamins do survive fermentation, but for the reasons pointed out by the NYTimes, its become taboo. The vitamins and nutrients are all wiped out because of politics and morality.... not chemistry and science....Lol...

Quote from NYTimes:

"But a chill descended. By law, all food additives must be listed on the label. In 1940, a Federal ruling prohibited listing the vitamin content of alcoholic beverages on the label as this would imply that drinking alcohol is healthy — an improper inducement; thus, added vitamins cannot be listed on the label. Feb 12, 1979"

Vitamin C titration is easy with starch and iodine tincture.....can nail it to mg's......

edit: just the first google link, didn't read it but it's common knowledge....kids in junior high do it all the time for science fair projects.... Use Iodine Titration to Determine the Amount of Vitamin C in Food

edit 2: i've done it with all kinds of plants around the yard with 1% titratable iodophor, every plant is loaded with vit c.....alive anyway....

Has anyone done a titration to determine the levels of vitamin C before/after fermentation in a juice with a high vitamin C content such as black currant or blueberries? I would be interested to see the results.

Has anyone done a titration to determine the levels of vitamin C before/after fermentation in a juice with a high vitamin C content such as black currant or blueberries? I would be interested to see the results.

i got some cider i fermented from cheap store bought juice w/added ingiedent (vitamin c)...i could titrate it, if you want?

it's really not hard to do, just grab your bottle of iodophor, weigh some then water it down....then boil something like flour to make a starch slurry, the idione reacts with the vitamin c, and you can tell how much vitamin c is in it because as soon as all the vitamin c reacts with the idine the iodine will turn the gel'd starch blue, which is your end point...then some calculator work will tell you how many mgs was in the solution.

Latest posts

Back