Want feedback on Spanish Sangria Mead Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD-SLIM

Reaction score
Hello All,

I want to emulate a Spanish Sangria...but Mead Style! A traditional Spanish Sangria is made with red wine, rum, orange juice, oranges, lemons, limes and sugar....so here is my idea for my recipe:

• 12 pounds Light Amber Honey
  • 1 pound of belgian dark candy
  • 2 quarts of orange juice
  • 5 pounds of sweet grapes
  • Wyeast 4267 Bordeaux Yeast
  • 2 tsp Yeast Nutrients
  • Primary Ferment for 2 weeks
  • Add fruit to secondary
  • 1 pound oranges
  • 1 pound of lime
  • 1 pound of lemon
  • 2 ounces of oak chips
  • ferment for 3 weeks
  • rack for 1 week to clarify
  • bottle 6 months

My theory behind all of this is that I needed to create rum (Dark Belgium Candy and Wood Chips), I needed to make a red wine (Sweet Grapes and Bordeaux Yeast) and then I needed all the other crap that goes in a Sangria. Does this seem like a stretch? Any suggested changes? I want to brew this up this weekend, so any help would be great!

I have nothing to add other than it sounds very interesting. Not sure how close to sangria it will be but I imagine it will taste delicious regardless.

I have nothing to add other than it sounds very interesting. Not sure how close to sangria it will be but I imagine it will taste delicious regardless.

I appreciate the feedback...I have no clue what the end flavor will be, but I love to experiment!

Sounds tasty. Where are you getting the grapes and how are you crushing them?

I was going to try Whole Foods or a place called Nashwood Winery (in Dallas) to get my grapes...I dont make wine so I dont have a set supplier in mind, so if you have suggestions I would appreciate it.
In regards to crushing the grapes, I have two thoughts in mind....crush them in a mesh screened strainer or put them in a commercial juicer that I have from another life...any recomendation on this would be great as well.
I appreciate the feedback!

I was going to try Whole Foods or a place called Nashwood Winery (in Dallas) to get my grapes...I dont make wine so I dont have a set supplier in mind, so if you have suggestions I would appreciate it.
In regards to crushing the grapes, I have two thoughts in mind....crush them in a mesh screened strainer or put them in a commercial juicer that I have from another life...any recomendation on this would be great as well.
I appreciate the feedback!

I've never done anything like that either, I've only made one mead, mainly a beer guy myself. Just interested to see how you accomplish this. Would it be easier to buy a wine kit or something similar so you could have the juice pre-crushed?

I've never done anything like that either, I've only made one mead, mainly a beer guy myself. Just interested to see how you accomplish this. Would it be easier to buy a wine kit or something similar so you could have the juice pre-crushed?

Yeah I thought about it...I still might do it...but I hate to say I didnt make all the part's of the next amazing thing!
I am a beer guy to 99% of the time, but I needed something to fill up all my 5 gallon fermenters that I bought when I first started (I dont rack to a secondary), and since I do my beer experiments in 1 gallon tea jars..it just left mead...now after 15 different recipes, I try and make one a month!

Sounds like a good plan! Only thing I would watch out for is the oak chips. 3 weeks may give you more oak flavor than your really want. I've known people that left them in for a week and got an overpowering oak taste.

Maybe keep them separate from everything else so you can pull them out if you're getting too much flavor from them?

caffeine211 said:
Sounds like a good plan! Only thing I would watch out for is the oak chips. 3 weeks may give you more oak flavor than your really want. I've known people that left them in for a week and got an overpowering oak taste.

Maybe keep them separate from everything else so you can pull them out if you're getting too much flavor from them?

I appreciate the feedback, I will drop down to 1 ounce and leave in for a week....just looking for a slight hint, not looking to drink sap!

What's your plan on the citrus fruits? Are you adding only zest and pulp?
Also if it was me id take out the oak just because you already have a lot of flavors going on, but that's more personal superstition that real advice. Also 4 weeks is pretty short bulk aging for a mead

What's your plan on the citrus fruits? Are you adding only zest and pulp?
Also if it was me id take out the oak just because you already have a lot of flavors going on, but that's more personal superstition that real advice. Also 4 weeks is pretty short bulk aging for a mead

I appreciate the feedback...I only plan on using the pulp, no zest..just because the amount of citrus in the secondary and using juice in the initial fermentation.
As for the bulk aging...I am going back and forth on this, I wanted to bulk age in the bottle to really get an aromic mead when open...however I may just bulk age in a fermenter for a total of 3 months and bottle for 3 months...havent decided on this yet and will probably wait to see how it goes!

Back