want to add roasted barley for color - when to add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heckofagator

Reaction score
Hi all, I want add some red color to a brew. When should I add a couple oz's of roasted barley to a BIAB brew to get the color but not the flavoring?

I've read about people steeping them in like room temp or slightly warm water istead of mashing and adding that liquid into the wort before the boil. You may need a bit more than you would mashing to get the same amount of color, but its not supposed to impart any flavors

separate note: why not try midnight wheat or blackprinz? Those are my go-to darkening malts for black IPAs. Midnight wheat has the least flavor contribution of them all in my experience. 2 or 3 oz of that stuff will turn like a pilsner into an amber ale

I actually went to the local brew store today to get some grains for a Irish Red Ale and I think they substituted out most of the grains that will give the reddish tint. So I'm hoping to try and put a little color back and just trying to come up with the best way without messing up the recipe since the grains are crushed and mixed already.

2-3 oz should be good. It should not dry it out. I would add to grains in bag. You can also use a caramunich along with some roasted malt. It could be a little maltier though. About 3-4 ounces should be good

There was an article about that in the October 2014 issue of BYO. Not sure if it's available online. They talked about making a tea with roasted malt or grains, or adding it to the mash, or adding at the end of the mash, etc.

Thanks for the tip. If anyone knows how to get a hold of that article, I would appreciate it. I did just sign up for a BYO subscription over Black Friday weekend but I can't find any online access to the articles.

Back