Warsteiner Dunkel clone question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janitorjerm

Reaction score
After having a couple of these at our Oktoberfest I was really interested in brewing one. The closet thing I could find on the net was chainsawbrewing's recipe:

AG - chainsaw brewing "death by dunkel"

My question is does this PM version look like it would get me the closest?

6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 62.50 %
1.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 18.23 %
0.85 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.85 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.21 %
0.25 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 2.60 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.60 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.8 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
0.25 oz Mt. Hood [4.80 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.90 %
Bitterness: 26.5 IBU
Est Color: 23.5 SRM

looks good to me! I'm just getting into p.m. too and will give this a shot. i may tweak it a bit to include more Munich. How big is your mash tun? I can hold b/w 5-10 lbs, so maybe less LME and more Munich?

thoughts?

I was thinking of subtracting some of the pale LME and cutting the Munich as a specialty grain and adding munich LME since it's 50/50 pale and munich. This was just what BeerSmith gave me as a conversion so I was hoping someone out there more experienced then myself could help me fine tune this.

i've been looking forward to brewing with Munich since i decided to go partial mash.... and was also looking for a dunkel recipe, so this is perfect. no experience with beersmith, but i assume the conversions are pretty decent?

Using the 1lb of grain = .75 lbs of LME rule I get roughly 5.25# of munich LME and 3# of pale LME. I figured in the fact that the munich LME is 50% munich and 50% pale. Would this be correct or is the above recipe closer? I just thought it cutting out all but 3/4 of a pound of the munich would severly change the beer. If my calculations are correct would I keep everything else the same and just cut out the munich for steeping grains or would the extra 2-row go as well? Sorry to be a pest I just wanna try to get this pretty close.

Back