Warsteiner Dunkel recipe does NOT exist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymbtheduke

Reaction score
I have looked here and everywhere and no dunkel recipe. Please don't point me to the Chainsaw death by dunkel thread as his isn't Warsteiner's. Does anyone have this recipe. Both my father and I love this brew but the price is almost $30 a case so I would like to make it instead.

Thanks for any responses.

Not to judge, but... Isn't $30/case on the low end of what you'd pay for craft beer?

All of Warsteiner's beers are top notch, so I call that a bargain. I gladly pay $50/case for their hefeweizen (best out there IMHO).

Sorry I can't help with a good clone though... That's a style I haven't dabbled in... yet. Will be watching here for suggestions. Good luck!

A friend of mine in Germany used to be a Warsteiner salesman.

He gave me all kinds of Warsteiner stuff, including free beer. I gave it all away because I didn't like it.

But I don't recall them having a dunkel.:confused:

Start with a base dunkel recipe. Brew it and then make some tweaks.

Kaiser's recipe

99% munich II, 1% carafa II special, Tettnanger at 60 min. 1.048 SG, 20 IBU, Wyeast 2206, 2 step infusion mash - 133 for 20min, 152 for 45min. He uses a decoction mash out.

Good Luck.

Thx to all for replying. I have several generic dunkel recipes but I want the original one. This amazes me. Warsteiners is widely available and popular yet no recipe anywhere.

Thx to all for replying. I have several generic dunkel recipes but I want the original one. This amazes me. Warsteiners is widely available and popular yet no recipe anywhere.

It's hardly unusual. There are few if any exact recipes for brews from large commercial breweries. I would follow dfohio's advice and brew one from a respected recipe. Then compare to Warsteiner and make the necessary adjustments.

Sounds like it's up to you to pioneer. Given the simplicity of the grain bill for a dunkel, it might be a matter of tweaking the water or cultivating the yeast or ...

Back