Water: Tap vs. Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that the other day, if it doesn't change the water I use to brew it'll at least change what I drink. Crazy!

I agree with a lot of what they are saying, I have tasted a lot of bottled water brands that taste horrible. But, the brand I do like does taste a heck of a lot better than tap water. I don't really care if it is coming from a municipal source if they are filtering it more and then reselling. Even the label on one of the bottles they were bashing in the film said it was from a municipal source and then distilled. The media keeps making it out like all Aquafina and Dasani are doing is pouring tap water into a bottle and don't mention the fact that they filter out a lot of the minerals and metals in the water. BTW I think Aquafina tastes better than Dasani. Anyways it is no different than using a Brita or Pure filter which can drastically improve the flavor of the water. It all comes down to personal preference just like anything. Sorry, I keep seeing these articles and had to post my opinion.

I've done some work on the filters at my water treament plant and the water going in is pretty nasty. After it gets filtered by sand they pump come chlorine in it and call it good. Not too high tech.

I figured that I would brew a batch with my tap water to see how it turned out. I did filter it and it turns out good beer, so I don't mess with a good thing.

I actually really like the taste of the tapwater from my city. Go an hour away though and I hate it.

The tapwater here has a strong chlorine scent, as well as a lot of iron content from my aging galvanized pipes. (Rust, in other words!) So, for brewing I use the output of my Pur under-sink charcoal filter, which tastes great and has no chlorine smell. For topping up, I use bottled...usually just over a gallon per batch.

FYI for those using municipal tap water and most of you may already know... chlorine evaporates out over a few days. So, if you have a way to store multiple gallons of water over a few days to a week prior to brewday, most of the chlorine will evaporate out. I have some education/experience in water quality, but am by no means an expert, so I'm not sure about chloramines evaporating out, but I know first hand from working in a toxicology lab that chlorine will evaporate and leave virtually no chlorine taste/odor. Personally, I have a well and the water tastes great! :)

Didn't Palmer say "if your water tastes OK, it's probably good for brewing" ?

I'm lucky - have very soft water, and use a pur filter to get the chlorine out.

I always add 1/4 tsp. per 3 gallons of water - this gets me to around 130-150 ppm Calcium. (do this for all but Bohemian Pilsners, which I don't treat).

Bottled water is somewhat of a scam.

I saw on Kentwood Spring Water (from the Kentwood Springs in S/E Louisiana), that the water was from Georgia. WTF ?????

Oops.................I feel a rant coming on.

Brewer3401 said:

I'm lucky - have very soft water, and use a pur filter to get the chlorine out.

I always add 1/4 tsp. per 3 gallons of water - this gets me to around 130-150 ppm Calcium. (do this for all but Bohemian Pilsners, which I don't treat).

Bottled water is somewhat of a scam.

I saw on Kentwood Spring Water (from the Kentwood Springs in S/E Louisiana), that the water was from Georgia. WTF ?????

Oops.................I feel a rant coming on.

you must be an EAC ;)

completley true great video!

100% of the breweries I have toured use the cities tap water to, but it doesnt say that on the bottle lol it usually has some lame line about the pure water from some place that is so crystal clear

Brewer3401 said:

I love that quote. I used bottled water for my first batch and will never do it again. It honestly, ups the cost way too much. I just use my tap water through a PUR filter. It taste fine, and I drink multiple glasses of it every single day. It should be good enough for my brew. =D

Back